[news.software.b] Features wanted in News/Notes

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (05/11/89)

In <5905@xyzzy.uucp> Alan Clegg wrote:
> The features wanted are:
>
> 		Thread support -- Being able to follow a thread BOTH backwards
> 				  and forwards from ANY point.

TMNN (aka 3.0) has this...

> 			       -- Begin able to save a complete thread into a
> 				  file from any point in the thread.
> 			       -- Being able to "FREEZE" a thread so that no
> 				  more notes can be posted to a certain topic.

But not these.

See my beta 7.6 release posting for how to get the sources.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

clegg@dg-rtp.dg.com (Alan Clegg) (05/12/89)

Several people in our facility have expressed an interest in features that they
have seen in the Notes software as opposed to the current version of News.

Once before I asked about "notes" and I got back a lot of replies that were to
the effect of "notes is dead, use netnews" and up to this point, I have had no
problems with that.  BUT, I need the added functionality that exists in notes
and not in netnews.

The features wanted are:

		Thread support -- Being able to follow a thread BOTH backwards
				  and forwards from ANY point.
			       -- Begin able to save a complete thread into a
				  file from any point in the thread.
			       -- Being able to "FREEZE" a thread so that no
				  more notes can be posted to a certain topic.

Will these features be available in TMNEWS or news 3.0?  If so, where can I get
these packages?

If not, what is the latest version of NOTES, and where can I get it?

We are currently running news 2.11.17 with nntp, and if necessary, we may run
notes beside news if that is possible.

Thanks,
-abc