[news.software.b] C News on 4.3 BSD-Tahoe w. NNTP

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/16/89)

In article <182300001@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>The patched NNTP sources in nntpdiffs/src appear to be missing patch #3
>in misc.c.

Indeed.  The README file says that the src directory contains 1.5
source (which I gather is what Geoff is still running).  I upgraded our
server to 1.5.5 and took the opportunity to create context diffs for C news
while I had a vanilla 1.5.5 around, and Geoff agreed to include those
in the release.

A vanilla NNTP 1.5.5 (the very one I generated the diffs from) can be found
for FTP on neat.ai.toronto.edu (128.100.1.65).  The NNTP diffs for C news are
also there, and we will try to keep up with NNTP releases until the C news
stuff gets #ifdef-ed properly in the official release, should that ever
happen.  Remember to use binary mode.

-rw-r--r--  1 root        20024 Jun 10 07:13 pub/nntp.1.5.5.Cdiffs
-rw-r--r--  1 root       208921 Jun  8 13:51 pub/nntp.1.5.5.tar.Z

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (06/16/89)

C News installed with little pain.  It did take some time to discover that
directories had to be manually created in /usr/spool/news/out.going for
each machine in the sys file.

The patched NNTP sources in nntpdiffs/src appear to be missing patch #3
in misc.c.  I worked around that by fetching virgin nntp 1.5 from ucbvax,
applying patches 1 to 5 from watson.bcm.tmc.com, and then applying the
Cnews NNTP patches.

Btw, the DNS has only MX records for tmc.com (I've since misplaced their
IP address).

Paul Pomes
UIUC-CSO