[news.software.b] Installing C news

Since it only seems to be me that's having troubles installing C news, can I
get some help?  Can someone who has installed (or is installing) C news on
a Sun 3/260 running SunOS 4.0 run script before they do the install, and mail
me a copy of the output?  I can compare that against what I'm doing and see
what's wrong...

The trouble that I'm having is that doit.bin fails because the 'bin' user
doesn't have permissions to write into the .../conf subdirectory (chmod 755
and owned by 'news').  Even if I add 'bin' to the 'news' group and change
the permissions to 775, I still have some troubles with who-owns-what further
on down the road.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
A person who seeks peace using weapons will never find it.  [Thanks, Clayton.]

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/16/89)

In article <3176@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>The trouble that I'm having is that doit.bin fails because the 'bin' user
>doesn't have permissions to write into the .../conf subdirectory (chmod 755
>and owned by 'news').  Even if I add 'bin' to the 'news' group and change
>the permissions to 775, I still have some troubles with who-owns-what further
>on down the road.

Independently of the problem you describe: While having binaries owned by bin
is a nice idea, be aware that "bin" is not special-cased by system-software
like root is (think of NFS uid-mapping, for example -- there isn't any for
"bin", etc, etc).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (06/17/89)

I had similar problems with the doit.bin script not having permission to
write in various directories.  My solution was to run it as root via

	sh -x doit.bin >& doit.log

Afterwards I examined the log and did the chown commands manually.

Paul Pomes
UIUC-CSO

In article <3176@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>The trouble that I'm having is that doit.bin fails because the 'bin' user
>doesn't have permissions to write into the .../conf subdirectory (chmod 755
>and owned by 'news').  Even if I add 'bin' to the 'news' group and change
>the permissions to 775, I still have some troubles with who-owns-what further
>on down the road.

If you want the source directories and program directories to be owned by
"news", you should just forget "bin" entirely and run doit.bin as "news".
Our documentation didn't go into this quite as well as it should have.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <89Jun16.105546edt.11731@neat.ai.toronto.edu> lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
>Independently of the problem you describe: While having binaries owned by bin
>is a nice idea, be aware that "bin" is not special-cased by system-software
>like root is (think of NFS uid-mapping, for example -- there isn't any for
>"bin", etc, etc).

We consider the resulting pressure to make everything important root-owned
a thoroughly bad idea.  NFS uid-mapping is a joke anyway, since non-
encrypting forms of NFS have essentially zero security.