[news.software.b] Cnews and dbm

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (06/22/89)

If you are installing cnews on a system without dbm, make sure you say
you have dbm and use the dbz supplied in the contrib directory.  If
you have dbm, you may want to use dbz anyway.  It uses less disk space
and is ~20 times faster (at least in my tests).  I have no idea what
difference this will make in overall cnews performance.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/22/89)

In article <9473@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
: If you are installing cnews on a system without dbm, make sure you say
: you have dbm and use the dbz supplied in the contrib directory.  If
: you have dbm, you may want to use dbz anyway.  It uses less disk space
: and is ~20 times faster (at least in my tests).  I have no idea what
: difference this will make in overall cnews performance.

Relaynews takes about 1/16'th the time using dbz instead of the thing
provided with C news.

---
bill@twwells.com

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (06/24/89)

In article <1989Jun22.133004.4163@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <9473@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>: If you have dbm, you may want to use dbz anyway.  It uses less disk space
>: and is ~20 times faster (at least in my tests).
>
>Relaynews takes about 1/16'th the time using dbz instead of the thing
>provided with C news.

I've found that this was my problem with the ihave/sendme's.  I'd thought
I had dbz.o included originally but somehow dbm.o had made it into the library
and was getting picked up first.

Before, with dbm.c, it was taking ruffly 12 seconds to process one message id
(gack!).  Having now recompiled with dbz.c, I do about 20 message id's
per second -- an improvement of over 200 times.

	tim
--
Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com
(201) 898-6687				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim