[news.software.b] Cnews errlog

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (06/16/89)

Everytime I post from Pnews, I get

unknown flag -z

in my /usr/lib/news/errlog.  Anyone know where that might be
coming from?  I haven't been able to track it down.

--

Todd Day | todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us | ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com
"All theory, no practice.  That's the story of my life."

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (06/20/89)

In article <1989Jun15.171149.5417@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>Everytime I post from Pnews, I get
>
>unknown flag -z
>
>in my /usr/lib/news/errlog.  Anyone know where that might be
>coming from?  I haven't been able to track it down.

I haven't installed C-news (yet), but my guess is that the "-z" would be
from C-news trying to do a uux -z blah blah which says to notify the user
if the command fails.  Some uux's don't have this capability.  Maybe go
hunt down the uux call and take out the -z and see if the problem goes
away...

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (06/20/89)

I got lots of email regarding the mysterious "unknown option -z"
that keeps cropping up in my errlog.  Well, I looked at viauux,
and it DOES NOT use the -z flag.  I've grep'ed, vi'ed, and less'ed
through several files, and cannot find any reference to the -z
flag anywhere.

I've got a new one for you guys... now, I am getting

expire problem

in my mailbox each morning.  Any clues?

--

exodus@cheers.UUCP (Greg Onufer) (06/20/89)

>>> -z message in Cnews errlog...

This most likely happens if you are passing the -z flag to uux (which
Cnews is probably doing) and your uux doesn't understand -z.  Look in
your Cnews configuration and find the flags you are passing to uux.
There should only be flags for the following:
		Queue the file for transmission  (usually -r)
		Take input from stdin		 (usually -)
		Do not notify on error		 (usually -n)
		Do not notify on success	 (default)
Some systems use -z for some of the same things.  Check your uux man
page an compare the options....

Cheers!greg

In article <1989Jun20.160625.3647@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>I got lots of email regarding the mysterious "unknown option -z"
>that keeps cropping up in my errlog.  Well, I looked at viauux,
>and it DOES NOT use the -z flag.  I've grep'ed, vi'ed, and less'ed
>through several files, and cannot find any reference to the -z
>flag anywhere.

You might want to check and see whether you are using the default command
(not a batch file, not an explicit command) on any entries in your sys
file.  The default command does give -z to uux.  (This is documented.)

>I've got a new one for you guys... now, I am getting
>
>expire problem

Sounds ugly; the "expire problem" part is from doexpire, but "e" is kind
of mysterious.  Sounds like a truncated message; some sort of disk space
problem?  Or expire dumping core for some bizarre reason?
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (06/25/89)

In article <1989Jun22.173415.10296@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
~>expire problem
~>e
~
~Sounds ugly; the "expire problem" part is from doexpire, but "e" is kind
~of mysterious.  Sounds like a truncated message; some sort of disk space
~problem?  Or expire dumping core for some bizarre reason?

expire seems to be running beautifully, though...  that strange message
is the only problem I have, and it doesn't happen every time.  Anyway,
I'm not going to worry about it now.  If it ain't fix, don't broke it...