---
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 89 00:51:30 PDT
From: coherent!uucp
To: mrspoc!news

uuxqt cmd (rnews ) status (exit 1, signal 0)
---

Here's an excerpt from my errlog file that might help:

sh: /usenet/news/no/such/article!: cannot open
sh: /usenet/news/no/such/article!: cannot open
relaynews: `PATH=/usr/local/lib/news/bin:/usr/local/lib/newsbin/relay:/bin:/usr/bin </usenet/news/no/such/article! mail usenet' returned exit status 0400
relaynews: `PATH=/usr/local/lib/news/bin:/usr/local/lib/newsbin/relay:/bin:/usr/bin </usenet/news/no/such/article! mail usenet' returned exit status 0400

The errlog file is filled with lines such as the above.

Our sys file is as follows:

mrspoc:all::
localstuff:all,!to.coherent.ctl,!to.coheren.ctl,!to.mrspoc.ctl:L:mail usenet
coherent:ba,ca,inet,world,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,misc,na,\
	usa,alt,pubnet,biz,gnu,to.coheren,to.coherent:LF
coherent:ba,ca,inet,world,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,misc,na,\
	usa,alt,pubnet,biz,gnu,to.coheren,to.coherent:IF
ubvax:ba,ca,inet,world,bionet,unix-pc,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,\
	misc,na,usa,alt,pubnet,su,biz,gnu,to.ubvax:L

I've looked at everything I could think of in order to isolate the problem
further...

That is the major problem. The minor problem is that the L flag in the sys
file makes it that I get a copy of anything posted on ubvax (in addition
to everything posted on mrspoc). This is an annoyance and I would *love*
to hear of a solution... I'm only supposed to get copies of posted material
on my local machine, not anything within 1 hop of me.

Help! News gurus...

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Mountain View, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (06/30/89)

In article <KAYVAN.89Jun29140153@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>It works just great with our primary newsfeed, but with our backup
>newsfeed, coherent, with whom we have ihave/sendme set up, I keep getting
>mail like the following:

We're running a similar news configuration here, albeit on a 3B2/600
running V.3.1.  Originally we had some problems with ihave/sendme, but
they've all been ironed out.

>From: coherent!uucp
>To: mrspoc!news
>
>uuxqt cmd (rnews ) status (exit 1, signal 0)

This one I haven't seen with Cnews.  We used to get it with Bnews when
using the wrong options on the uux to the remote machine; maybe you should
check the viauux file.  Uux is also executed from relaynews if you haven't
given a command to execute in your sys file (and you haven't in some lines of
the sys file below), so you might want to look there.  I think this is in
sys.c.

>sh: /usenet/news/no/such/article!: cannot open
>sh: /usenet/news/no/such/article!: cannot open
>relaynews: `PATH=/usr/local/lib/news/bin:/usr/local/lib/newsbin/relay:/bin:/usr/bin </usenet/news/no/such/article! mail usenet' returned exit status 0400
>relaynews: `PATH=/usr/local/lib/news/bin:/usr/local/lib/newsbin/relay:/bin:/usr/bin </usenet/news/no/such/article! mail usenet' returned exit status 0400
>
>The errlog file is filled with lines such as the above.

I saw some of this in the beginning.  From looking at the relaynews code, I
think this happens when you receive a sendme for an article that you don't
have.  This could either be because you've expired the article, or maybe
it's from an ihave that you sent out under bnews and now that you've rebuilt
the history file with cnews it can't find it when the sendme comes in.
I'm not sure which, but we didn't see any more of these messages after the
first day or so.

>Our sys file is as follows:
>
>mrspoc:all::
>localstuff:all,!to.coherent.ctl,!to.coheren.ctl,!to.mrspoc.ctl:L:mail usenet
>coherent:ba,ca,inet,world,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,misc,na,\
>	usa,alt,pubnet,biz,gnu,to.coheren,to.coherent:LF
>coherent:ba,ca,inet,world,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,misc,na,\
>	usa,alt,pubnet,biz,gnu,to.coheren,to.coherent:IF
>ubvax:ba,ca,inet,world,bionet,unix-pc,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,\
>	misc,na,usa,alt,pubnet,su,biz,gnu,to.ubvax:L

We based the ihave/sendme lines of our sys file on the sample ones that
came with Cnews, and it seems to work fine.  You probably should look
closely at that, since Cnews creates it's own distributions of "ihave"
and "sendme" while it is processing those articles.  It is a little more
complicated, but it also makes more sense.

>That is the major problem. The minor problem is that the L flag in the sys
>file makes it that I get a copy of anything posted on ubvax (in addition
>to everything posted on mrspoc). This is an annoyance and I would *love*
>to hear of a solution... I'm only supposed to get copies of posted material
>on my local machine, not anything within 1 hop of me.

We had this problem also.  It is fixed in the recent patch Henry sent out.
Make sure you install the patch, it also fixes a problem in dbz.c that
makes ihave/sendme's allow duplicate articles like crazy.  While you're
at it, make sure you're using the patched dbz.c and not dbm.c (unless Xenix
comes with the real dbm library).

	tim
--
Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com
(201) 898-6687				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim

In article <KAYVAN.89Jun29140153@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>That is the major problem. The minor problem is that the L flag in the sys
>file makes it that I get a copy of anything posted on ubvax (in addition
>to everything posted on mrspoc). This is an annoyance...

You need to install the 23-Jun-1989 patch, which will cure that one.

Your major problem I have no real insights on.  All I can suggest is to
capture some of the incoming ihave/sendme messages and see if there's
anything funny in them.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu