[news.software.b] TMNN development

ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (06/22/89)

   From: davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen)
   Date: 21 Jun 89 19:38:20 GMT

     Cnews looks like a great package (ask me in two days) but it will need
   some extensions before it is as useful as B news. With TMNN going
   through another major revision phase a lot of us will be using C news
   and extending it to meet the needs at our sites.

Beg pardon.  TMNN is NOT going through a major revision (which, to me,
implies some redesign and/or new features).  It is going through a badly
needed major debugging.  Our mantra through the whole process has been
"No New Features!"

Ted has all of the bad pointer/corruption problems out of expire and
rnews (we think).  I am working on the readers.  I think you'll see the
next release in a week or so, and I am certain that it will be much more
reliable.

				 AMBAR
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu		   {mit-eddie,uunet}!bloom-beacon!ambar

davidsen@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/04/89)

In article <AMBAR.89Jun21195246@binkley.mit.edu> ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) writes:

| Beg pardon.  TMNN is NOT going through a major revision (which, to me,
| implies some redesign and/or new features).  It is going through a badly
| needed major debugging.  Our mantra through the whole process has been
| "No New Features!"

  I guess we use the term differently. I am using revise to mean
"change". If you do the same thing another way or a new thing, the
chances of having a program exhibit unexpected behavior seems
proportional to the number of changed lines. You previously posted a
note about the many bugs you were fixing, that implies a lower
confidence level to me. Of course I'm mortal, and even when I write
perfectly legal code it breaks on buggy compilers.

  It would be nice if it still worked on SysV and 16 bit machines after
it's "debugged."
--
	- bill davidsen (davidsen@crdgw1.uucp)
	GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8, KW-C206; Schenectady NY 12345