[news.software.b] Re^3: Review of NN, a Usenet news reader

seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (07/07/89)

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> Actually, from the looks of it, nn might end up deserving its own
> newsgroup...

Let not rush into it.  Right now the mailing list is short, and carries less
traffic that this group does about nn.  If the traffic on the list increases a
lot, or these newsgroups gets flooded with articles about nn, then maybe.  I
wouldn't be surprised the volume would decreased when the current deficiencies
have been eliminated.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (07/07/89)

I personally love nn's "all articles at a glance" user interface.  I read my
news with nn by positioning my fingers (starting with my right index) on
the ",./" keys.  I hit "," and "/" to move through each article, letting the
cursor guide my eyes to the subject line.  When I see a thread which interests
me, I hit "." with my middle finger (of course, to change pages, I use the
spacebar).  I can zoom through a newsgroup very fast this way, reading only
articles of interest to me.

A lot of people don't like nn's way of disposing of articles, mainly	its
throwing out of unread articles which have been "skipped".  I don't really
like this either... Then again, rn's persistance in keeping all unread articles
unread sometimes really bothers me (I often use the "c" command in rn).
If a key is added to skip a newsgroup w/o marking all articles read, I believe
the problem will be solved.  In fact, I would like this better.  Most the time
time I WANT to get rid of articles.  I'd rather have to hit a specific key to
"save" them.

I think Kim did a wonderful job so far.. Of course there are bugs (is there such a
thing as a "bug free" program?), but these will eventually be fixed, unless
Kim gets tired of hearing compaints, and throws in the towel :-).  I personally
would quickly grow tired of hearing flames/complaints about a program I wrote
for the public, for free.  Bug reports are fine.  Whining/flaming/complaining
wont help anything.  (BTW, this paragraph isn't directed at any specific person.
I'm always suprised to see complaint articles on the net, and it seems to be
pretty widespread).

Owell.. that's my $.02...

Jim

--
James S. Burwell
jimb@faatcrl.UUCP

Standard-disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in the above article are mine, and only mine, in fact, I
invented them, and they are mine.  :-)  They are NOT to be interpreted at
opinions of my employer.