[news.software.b] C news humor

stevo@uniblab.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (07/11/89)

In article <1989Jul9.032048.3850@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>In future, would people posting reports of alleged bugs in C news please
>first check that they are running C news and try to verify the alleged
>bugs by examining the code (which often turns out to be shell scripts)
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>to confirm that there is a non-zero probability that the alleged bug
>actually exists?
>--
>Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu
>``... skill such as yours is evidence of a misspent youth.'' - Herbert Spencer

Hmm.... I thought part of the point of C news (OK, I'll spell it your
way but I won't put spaces in my source directory names) was that it
was to be written mostly in C.  So why is the code "often [...] shell
scripts"?  Or did Geoff mean that the bugs often turn out to be in
the scripts as opposed to the C code?  Or maybe in C shell scripts? :-)

That was probably just my impression though, I can't produce any quotes
of someone telling me that.  I'm not complaining either.  We're running
it and it works great.  I just found the thought to be worth a grin.

Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"

In article <1989Jul10.171446.16333@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> stevo@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) writes:
>Hmm.... I thought part of the point of C news... was that it
>was to be written mostly in C.  So why is the code "often [...] shell
>scripts"?  Or did Geoff mean that the bugs often turn out to be in
>the scripts as opposed to the C code?  Or maybe in C shell scripts? :-)

Nope, we never write anything in C unless there are good performance reasons
for doing so.  (Once in a while we refrain even so, actually, when issues
like portability bite particularly hard.)  C is just the letter after B.

The bugs were pretty evenly distributed during development, as I recall.

"C shell script" is an oxymoron, like "military intelligence".  For that
matter, so is "C shell".   :-) :-)
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu