[news.software.b] Comment about NN and command keys

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/07/89)

After all I have been reading about nn, I doubt that it will be brought up
on the system here.  Why?  Personally the problem with having to use caps
with the major command keys.  That is for the birds.  The user should just
have to press a key, not also have to press the SHIFT key.

Why was the cap scheme used?
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (07/08/89)

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>After all I have been reading about nn, I doubt that it will be brought up
>on the system here.  Why?  Personally the problem with having to use caps
>with the major command keys.  That is for the birds.  The user should just
>have to press a key, not also have to press the SHIFT key.

>Why was the cap scheme used?
>--
>	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
>Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown
>	        rutgers/  decvax!nicmad/
>	ARPA/INTERNET: brown%astroatc.UUCP@spool.cs.wisc.edu

Why not remap the keys?  I have done this to preserve the "vi" cursor
key functionality and to keep my fingers on home row:

 -- From ~/.nn/init

map menu j line+1
map menu k line-1
map menu A select-subject
map menu J select

Of course, I cannot select a menu item "j" or "k", but you can't have it all.
Where would you put it all?

{decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!warp!rock  Bill Petro

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/08/89)

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>After all I have been reading about nn, I doubt that it will be brought up
>on the system here.  Why?  Personally the problem with having to use caps
>with the major command keys.  That is for the birds.  The user should just
>have to press a key, not also have to press the SHIFT key.

>Why was the cap scheme used?

From a user's point of view, the lower case letters are used to select
articles, the upper case letters are commands.  I would like to see the
articles selected by number (what happens if there are more than 26
articles?), and all letters (upper and lower) become commands.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (07/12/89)

In article <2228@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>After all I have been reading about nn, I doubt that it will be brought up
>on the system here.  Why?  Personally the problem with having to use caps
>with the major command keys.  That is for the birds.  The user should just
>have to press a key, not also have to press the SHIFT key.

You are only partially correct here...

nn operates in two modes: selection mode and reading mode.

In selection mode, nn displays a menu with about 20 articles at a
time.  Each article is identified by a letter a-z, and the basic way
to select an article to read is to enter this (lowercase) letter.

So in selection mode, the uppercase letters are the only ones left for
the commands.  But this does not matter much, because commands are
rarely used in selection mode (except Q for quit and N for next group).

However in reading mode where the selected articles are shown, the
commands are in lowercase!  Of course, there are also commands in
uppercase (like Q for quit and N for next group), but the common
commands (n for next article, r for reply, etc) are in lowercase.

Anyway, you are free to redefine the key-bindings to place the uppercase
commands on separate keys or even on the corresponding lowercase keys
(although that will prevent you from selecting the articles by their
id - but there are several other ways to do it as well).
--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

In article <667@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>I would like to see the articles selected by number (what happens if
>there are more than 26 articles?)

Normally (on a 24x80 VDU), nn only shows 20 articles on the menu at a
time, so there is "never" more than 26 articles.

However, if your screen is large enough to display more than 26 menu
lines at the same time, nn will use 0 through 9 to identify 10 more
articles (a total of 36 articles on the menu), and stop at that!  If
there are still more lines left on the screen, they will be used as a
preview window.

I ran nn on a 64 line terminal for a year, and I can really recommend it!