[news.software.b] Problem with latest nn patch

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (07/13/89)

I just installed the latest nn patch, and am not sure if I stumbled
upon a bug.

I am running C News.  I get a partial feed, so some directories haven't
been created yet (actually, C News does create them, I think, but B News
never did *unless* an article got posted to that group).

I noticed that nnmaster did not create any .d or .x files in the database
for the groups that have no spool directory.

Now, every time that nn hits one of these group, it says
DATABASE CORRUPTED FOR GROUP xxx.xxx.xxx

So, is this a bug in nnmaster or is it in nn?

[I could fix this by manually making the missing spool directories, but
 there are so many of them I'd rather try checking out nn.  I've looked at
 the source, but can't seem to find any answers there.]

--

Todd Day | todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us | ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com
"Santa Barbara - so many babes... so few who will talk to me."

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/14/89)

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:

>I just installed the latest nn patch, and am not sure if I stumbled
>upon a bug.

>I am running C News.  I get a partial feed, so some directories haven't
>been created yet (actually, C News does create them, I think, but B News
>never did *unless* an article got posted to that group).

>I noticed that nnmaster did not create any .d or .x files in the database
>for the groups that have no spool directory.

>Now, every time that nn hits one of these group, it says
>DATABASE CORRUPTED FOR GROUP xxx.xxx.xxx

>So, is this a bug in nnmaster or is it in nn?

From the nn mailing list:

}I have had several indications that patch #4 may have broken something
}in the nnmaster concerning groups without a spool directory.
}
}When nn sees such groups it may report that
}
}	"database corrupted for group xxx"
}
}These messages are harmless, but quite irritating.
}
}(V)alidate in nnadmin may think the same.
}
}
}There are two work-arounds:
}
}1) create the missing directories for these groups.
}
}2) comment out the lines in group.c reporting the "database corrupted"
}   and the associated 'user-delay'.
}
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon