[news.software.b] C News on Xenix problems gone

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (07/15/89)

I'd like to thank those people (and especially Geoff and Henry) who
responded to my plea for help.

The problems all turned out to be rather minor configuration issues that
I had not been aware of.

The errlog messages were caused by a line in my sys file that read
something like this:

localstuff: all/!ihave,!sendme,!to.coherent.ctl,!to.mrspoc.ctl:L:mail usenet

This meant that the batcher, when attempting to batch the ihave/sendme
messages, would sometimes get the "no.such.article!" filename back, would
go to send it off and "mail usenet" would be invoked with no input.
This caused mail to complain and thus the errlog messages.

The second problem, the error status returns from coherent (our ihave/sendme
site) was caused by my forgetting to pu tthe appropriate lines in the
batchparms file for ihave/sendme batching. So what was happening was that
the default "batcher compcun viauux" line was getting invoked.

Once I got our ihave/sendme set up with the suggested splitting of ihave,
sendme, and real spooling to coherent (as per the distributed examples),
I ran into the following problem:

The spool directory, "coherent.sendme" got truncated (14 char limit) to
"coherent.sendm". This meant that the batcher would miss the batchparms
line unless it also read "coherent.sendm". I opted to rename the
directories coherent.ih and coherent.sm. This could also cause the
batchsm script to post messages to to.coherent.sendm rather than to
to.coherent (as intended).

The one minor poblem was that the ihave and sendme messages at this point
where posted to to.coherent.ih and to.coherent.sm, this I found by looking
at the batchih and batchsm scripts. I simply put site-specific copies of these
scripts in the site spool directories (coherent.sm and coherent.ih) which
posted the ihave/sendme messages to to.coherent.ctl (as was happening under
B News 2.11).

Once I got the hang of it (by reading more of the scripts and looking at
the handful of configuration files) my C News site now runs perfectly
smoothly! Thanks!!!

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Mountain View, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

In article <KAYVAN.89Jul14141910@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>The spool directory, "coherent.sendme" got truncated (14 char limit) to
>"coherent.sendm". This meant that the batcher would miss the batchparms
>line unless it also read "coherent.sendm"...... This could also cause the
>batchsm script to post messages to to.coherent.sendm rather than to
>to.coherent (as intended).

Ouch.  The former is just a case of batchparms having to match the actual
configuration, but the latter is something I hadn't thought of.  How
quickly we get spoiled by Berklix's long names... :-(  Sorry about that.
Some sort of solution will be supplied soon, probably in the next patch.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu