[news.software.b] C News: inews -C doesn't do what it should

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (07/15/89)

inews -C group.group

In Bnews, the above command would create a group and not mail out
control messages all over the world.

In Cnews (as I found out from a *nasty* letter from epsilon@wet),
the control messages are sent out.

A quick fix for this is to add

to line 108 of:

[source tree]/relaynews/sh/inews

and, if you already have it installed, to:

/usr/bin/inews
/usr/lib/newsbin/inject/inews      (these two files might be in diff spots
					on your machine)

BTW, in the next release of C News, would it be possible to link
these last two files together if possible?  They are the same, as
far as I can tell.

--

Todd Day | todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us | ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com
"Santa Barbara - so many babes... so few who will talk to me."

In article <1989Jul15.085917.5017@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>inews -C group.group
>
>In Bnews, the above command would create a group and not mail out
>control messages all over the world.

Well, in some versions of B News.  The old ones we were used to weren't
that restrictive.

We will do *something* about this, as it's a common complaint and we
consider it serious.  We're not yet quite sure what.  The right way to
add a group locally is with "addgroup", although this is not well
publicized in the documentation.  We may just delete "inews -C" entirely,
as there is no point in integrating this function into inews if it never
sends out a control message.  (inews is for posting messages, remember?)

>/usr/bin/inews
>/usr/lib/newsbin/inject/inews
>
>BTW, in the next release of C News, would it be possible to link
>these last two files together if possible? ...

They are indeed identical.  I'm not a big fan of links, but I'll take
a look at this.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu