[news.software.b] B news unmanageable?

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (07/11/89)

I almost hate to ask this question; it seems too prone to starting a
flame fest, or perhaps a massive b*tch-and-moan session, neither of
which interests me particularly.  Nonetheless, this note prompts me to
ask...

   [rick@pcrat.uucp:]
   BTW, C news wasn't any panacea here, even with DBZ...  It *does* seem
   more manageable, though, than B news.

I am curious (truly, just _curious_) as to what in B news people find
"unmanageable."  Define "unmanageable" in whatever terms suit you in
your context.  I find B news really quite manageable.  What I need are
tools for hacking on the configuration files more mechanically, e.g.,
adding a new feed requires me to edit sys, nntp_access, and nntpsend.
Alternatively, sys, Systems, Permissions, and newsbatches (local
script which does UUCP batching).  Otherwise, it needs relatively
little care in terms of daily monitoring/management.  I run report.awk
every night so I get activity summaries; I expire once a week on a
3-week basis; I use trimlib to keep the number of logfiles to a
manageable set (just the last 2 days or so); little else.

Where do others find that B news eats your time for "management"?

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/11/89)

In article <KARL.89Jul10213445@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>I am curious (truly, just _curious_) as to what in B news people find
>"unmanageable."  Define "unmanageable" in whatever terms suit you in
>your context.

2.11B news would leave zero length news articles around, not in the history
files, so expire wouldn't delete them.  It also left these babies around
in /usr/spool/news:
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 Jul  2 00:02 .ara01543
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 May 21 00:26 .ara06710
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 May 23 03:15 .ara09155
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 May 24 21:31 .ara10912
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 Jun  8 22:41 .ara11786
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news           0 May 27 07:51 .ara13609
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news         518 Jul  2 00:02 .ina01543
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news        4235 May 21 00:26 .ina06710
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news         637 May 23 03:14 .ina09155
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news        2263 May 24 21:31 .ina10912
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news         720 Jun  8 22:41 .ina11786
-rw-rw-rw-   1 news     news        1075 May 27 07:51 .ina13609

I didn't notice those until there was a megabyte hiding in there.

And then there were the L<* files left in /tmp.  All of these things
were fixed by running a "find", and maybe would have been fixed
had I not given up patching it after patch 12 or 13.  It was
taking up too much time patching.

And the manual edits to "newsgroups" after a checkgroups to delete
the "general" group which got added every time even though it
was already there.  (I don't know what C news will do with this yet).

I'm sure there were other irritations, but I stopped caring long
ago.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Denny Page) (07/19/89)

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>2.11B news would leave zero length news articles around, not in the history
>files, so expire wouldn't delete them.  It also left these babies around
>in /usr/spool/news:
[...]
>And then there were the L<* files left in /tmp.

It's not supposed to do that :-).

>had I not given up patching it after patch 12 or 13.
Perhaps you should have stuck with it.  Level 14 does not appear to
have these problems unless you kill news processes or you have
problems in your sys file.
--
Someday has arrived