[news.software.b] Cnews setuid

In article <10931@ibmpcug.UUCP> Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.co.uk writes:
>I doubt that it will work on my machine, because setuid(geteuid()) does both:
>	1) Not work.
>	2) return 0	(!)

Sigh.  Geoff and I decided long ago that we could not possibly anticipate
all the ways in which systems might be broken.  So our gut reaction is
"your problem, not ours"...

>How about a compromise?  Rather than depending upon the return value
>of setuid, do a getuid() instead and see if it *really* worked ?

...however, this is a sufficiently simple fix that it's probably a
sensible thing to do.  Geoff has final say, since it's his code.

>Another question: Why does only the max field in active get expanded to
>		  10 digits but not the min field? (I'm obviously missing
>		  something obvious here, but I can't find it in the
>		  docs/READMEs)

This is more or less an oversight.  We consider the min field to be a
silly kludge for broken news readers, and pay very little attention to it.
So we missed that one.

>Oh. While I'm here... is posting to n.s.b AND mailing to utstat!c-news
>    the correct thing to do?

It's sort of redundant, actually, since we'll see it either way, but it
may be useful if the problem is serious enough to alert other users at
once.  Do send the mail in any case.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ronald@ibmpcug.UUCP (Ronald Khoo) (07/22/89)

Hi - I'm looking into installing Cnews next month, and was going through
the bit in relaynews which decides whether to call setnewsids:

I doubt that it will work on my machine, because setuid(geteuid()) does both:
	1) Not work.
	2) return 0	(!)

How about a compromise?  Rather than depending upon the return value
of setuid, do a getuid() instead and see if it *really* worked ?

Another question: Why does only the max field in active get expanded to
		  10 digits but not the min field? (I'm obviously missing
		  something obvious here, but I can't find it in the
		  docs/READMEs)

System: SCO Xenix V.2.2.3	(I THINK it's based on a USG III kernel)
	and, as usual on a PC, a not-terribly-impressive disc subsystem
	which renders the machine unuseable during expire - hence the
	need to get Cnews up ASAP.

Oh. While I'm here... is posting to n.s.b AND mailing to utstat!c-news
    the correct thing to do?

--
Ronald Khoo @ The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ
Phone:	+44 -1- 863 1191			Domain:	ronald@ibmpcug.CO.UK