[news.software.b] xref lines not working in rn

billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) (07/15/89)

I have rn 4.3 (patch level 14) and news 2.11 (patch level 34(?))
running on an HP 9000/360 HP-UX 6.2.  Unfortunately, the Xrefs
line is not keeping me from seeing the same message a number of
times.

I configured news to DOXREFS, and used the Configure file that came
with rn.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bill Canning
billc%wupulm@wupost.wustl.EDU

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/18/89)

In article <244@wupulm.wustl.EDU> billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) writes:
>I have rn 4.3 (patch level 14) and news 2.11 (patch level 34(?))
>running on an HP 9000/360 HP-UX 6.2.  Unfortunately, the Xrefs
>line is not keeping me from seeing the same message a number of
>times.

We have the identical problem here, and have so far been unable to find
anyone who can suggest what is wrong. We just sent mail to Larry Wall to
see if he can provide info as to where we messed up - haven't heard back
yet.

We are running unix 3.51a on an AT&T 3B1.

>I configured news to DOXREFS, and used the Configure file that came
>with rn.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Same here. And all other features are working fine. Does anyone have any
notion of what we may be going on here?

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!{bbh|postmaster|sysadmin}
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR  USA 97035
MOTD:   "Vote NO!"

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (07/19/89)

In article <244@wupulm.wustl.EDU> billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) writes:
>I have rn 4.3 (patch level 14) and news 2.11 (patch level 34(?))
>running on an HP 9000/360 HP-UX 6.2.  Unfortunately, the Xrefs
>line is not keeping me from seeing the same message a number of
>times.
>I configured news to DOXREFS, and used the Configure file that came
>with rn.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

(I was waiting for a reply to the above, but saw none, sooo....)

We, too, have this problem with rn 4.3 (patchlevel 39 or 40) and
news 2.11.14 (.17?) on a vax-750 running 4.2bsd.

It appeared about the same time that we installed 2.11; we'd not had
the problem with 2.10.2. (Rn has not changed since long before we
installed news 2.11.)

I've done some hunting; the headers look fine (and the same as under
news 2.10.2, w/r/t the Xrefs: line) and there's no obvious source to
the problem. It's low on my list of things to fix right now, as it
appears it will take me some time to hunt down.

If anyone else has a pointer to the problem, though, that may change...

--
Bill Swan  entropy.ms.washington.edu!sigma!bill  Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years:

bart@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Bart Massey) (07/19/89)

In article <2502@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
> In article <244@wupulm.wustl.EDU> billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) writes:
> >I have rn 4.3 (patch level 14) and news 2.11 (patch level 34(?))
> >running on an HP 9000/360 HP-UX 6.2.  Unfortunately, the Xrefs
> >line is not keeping me from seeing the same message a number of
> >times.
> >I configured news to DOXREFS, and used the Configure file that came
> >with rn.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> We, too, have this problem with rn 4.3 (patchlevel 39 or 40) and
> news 2.11.14 (.17?) on a vax-750 running 4.2bsd.
>
> It appeared about the same time that we installed 2.11; we'd not had
> the problem with 2.10.2. (Rn has not changed since long before we
> installed news 2.11.)

Try defining NORELAY in rn/config.h .  The fact that one poster's problem
began after 2.11 installation is a dead giveaway.

The code in bits.c which implements this option (i.e. removes rn's reliance
on the Relay-Version header, which disappeared as of 2.10.3) also copes with
the domain portion of the hostname in the xref line.  Without this option,
an xref line such as
will likely be discarded by rn, since the hostname of the system to which
the article numbers refer either will not be identified or will be
identified as "videovax.tv.tek.com", and so rn will think the xref line
was generated on some other machine.

The above explanation is admittedly incoherent, but so is the twisty code in
bits.c, starting at around line 398.  As always, "Use the source, Fluke" :-),
and good luck!

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!videovax.tv.tek.com!bart
					..tektronix!reed.bitnet!bart

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (07/19/89)

In article <2502@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>In article <244@wupulm.wustl.EDU> billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) writes:
>>I have rn 4.3 (patch level 14) and news 2.11 (patch level 34(?))
>>running on an HP 9000/360 HP-UX 6.2.  Unfortunately, the Xrefs
>>line is not keeping me from seeing the same message a number of
>>times.
>
>(I was waiting for a reply to the above, but saw none, sooo....)

Me too.

I got this fixed at our site over a year ago, and I'm trying to
remember what I did.

It has to do with the way the Xrefs lines work.  Xrefs not only lists
article numbers, but also your machine name; and I think your rn is
thinking that this is not the right machine name so it ignores the