[news.software.b] Gnews vs. GNUS

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (07/31/89)

ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) writes:

>GNUS would seem to set a good example for nn to follow -- it keeps a
>.newsrc.el file around, which is its preferred format of the .newsrc
>file, AND it keeps the .newsrc file up to date, so that I can use it
>with other readers!  (This was my main reason for switching from Gnews
>to GNUS, BTW.)

Oh yeah? :-)  Try the following in Gnews...

In gnews-start-hook:

  (if (file-newer-than-file-p "~/.newsrc" "/.gnewsrc")
      (delete-file "~/.gnewsrc"))

In gnews-quit-hook:

  (if (file-exists-p (concat gnews-dot-dir ".newsrc"))
    (progn
      (rename-file
        (concat gnews-dot-dir ".newsrc")
        (concat gnews-dot-dir ".oldnewsrc")
        t)
      (news-rc-restore)
      )
    )

So there!
--
Mark Nagel
UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science