[news.software.b] C News: use of = in active

dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) (08/16/89)

In the Bay Area, we have three similar news groups: ba.wanted, ba.market,
and ba.forsale.  Bozos here frequently post "For Sale: Twin-sized WaterBed"
articles to all of these, plus ba.general, to get the best possible
coverage.  While I'm annoyed at the ba.general crosspostings, there doesn't
seem to be much I can do to filter these out.  However, it does seem that
I can locally combine ba.wanted, ba.market, and ba.forsale into one single
group, ba.market.

Looking at the C News documentation, it appeared to me that this form of
aliasing was handled by having the last field in the active file for
ba.wanted and ba.forsale be "=ba.market".  Sure enough, nothing now falls
into ba.wanted or ba.forsale.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that an article posted into ba.wanted and ba.market
winds up as two separate articles in ba.market, ba/market/6994 and
ba/market/6995.  The Xref header lists ba.market:6994 and ba.market:6995.

I suppose this must've been the intention, but I don't like the results.
Is there a better way?
--
Dave Buck	{amdahl,sun,megatest,plx,ardent,ubvax}!dlb!dave
D. L. Buck and Associates, Inc.; San Jose, California 95119; (408)972-2825

In article <1989Aug16.152943.26381@dlb.uucp> dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) writes:
>... handled by having the last field in the active file for
>ba.wanted and ba.forsale be "=ba.market".  Sure enough, nothing now falls
>into ba.wanted or ba.forsale.  That's the good news.
>
>The bad news is that an article posted into ba.wanted and ba.market
>winds up as two separate articles in ba.market, ba/market/6994 and
>ba/market/6995...

This is certainly a bit ugly; I don't think Geoff or I seriously thought
about the possibility of articles being cross-posted to several groups
that got =ed to the same group.  It's pretty harmless if your news readers
all pay attention to Xref, but it is unattractive.  Is it actually
causing significant problems?
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu