[news.software.b] Why call it C news?

david@jane.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) (08/19/89)

One thing that has puzzled me.  Why is C news called "C" news?  "A"
(the original) had a completely different article format from "B"
news.  Special processing is required to process an A article under
B news.  C news uses the same transport protocol, same message format,
and from the outside looks identical to B news.  Except for the minor
changes to the history file it appears to just be a total rewrite
of the B news code, just like 3.0 news (aka TMNN).

I can see the possible confusion with 3.0 news in the numbering
scheme but didn't C news start first?  Why wasn't it news 3.0?

	-David

P.S. I use C news and think that Geoff and Henry have done an amazingly
good job on the code, I just wonder about the name.

	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA
				{cit-vax,ames}!elroy!david	  UUCP
Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (08/19/89)

David Robinson:
>Why is C news called "C" news? ... it appears to just be a total rewrite
>of the B news code, just like 3.0 news (aka TMNN).

I invented the name "C news" to make it plain that our code was written
from scratch, contains no B news code and never did contain any B news
code.  The "official" name of TMNN is B 3.0 news; from what Eric has
said to us, it did start life as B 2.11 news and was then rewritten,
piece by piece.

>I can see the possible confusion with 3.0 news in the numbering
>scheme but didn't C news start first?  Why wasn't it news 3.0?

We started on C news during 1985.  Henry wrote C expire first, then I
wrote C relaynews in the fall of 1985 and coined the name "C news" at
that time.  I gather TMNN started a year or more later.  In 1985, we
had no idea whether or not Rick would some day want to release a B 3.0
news of his own, and our code isn't B news.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

david@rosie.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (08/19/89)

<
<I invented the name "C news" to make it plain that our code was written
<from scratch, contains no B news code and never did contain any B news
<code. ...

<We started on C news during 1985.  Henry wrote C expire first, then I
<wrote C relaynews in the fall of 1985 and coined the name "C news" at
<that time. ...
<--
<Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

I get it, it is not "C" as in "A" "B" "C", but "C"ollyer news! ;-)