[news.software.b] Valid date headers

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (08/20/89)

I just discovered that C news is posting new articles with a date header
that looks like:

	Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 13:27:10 GMT

while every other article I receive from outside the system does not contain
the day of the week preceding the day of the month.  I assume this is because
my B news feed is massaging the headers to remove the day of the week from
other C news site postings before passing them on to me, not because no other
site is using the default C news handling of the date header.

My question:  is this within the limits of valid date headers?

The reason I ask, is that nn's date parser does not correctly handle anything
outside of [D]D Mmm YY hh:mm:ss GMT, which causes some minor mis-ordering of
articles withing a particular menu.  I was wondering if we should enforce a
rigid or flexible date header?  It would be trivial to change C news to
omit the day of the week, and it is almost as trivial to change nn to
handle the extra field.

I am currently modifying nn's pack_date.c to handle an optional day of the
week, plus time zones other than GMT.  The reason for the extra time zones
is to properly handle the breaking up of digests -- most of the sub-articles I
have seen in digests have a date header that has both the day of the week and
a non-GMT time zone.  I'll send the result to Kim Storm for him to mull over.
--
Wayne Davison          \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)         davison@drivax.UUCP
                      (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \          ...!amdahl!drivax!davison

In article <24EDCAF7.144A@drivax.UUCP> davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) writes:
>I just discovered that C news is posting new articles with a date header
>that looks like:
>
>	Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 13:27:10 GMT
>
>while every other article I receive from outside the system does not contain
>the day of the week preceding the day of the month...
>
>My question:  is this within the limits of valid date headers?

Yes.  RFC1036 explicitly blesses this format in particular, in fact.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/20/89)

In article <24EDCAF7.144A@drivax.UUCP> davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) writes:
>I just discovered that C news is posting new articles with a date header
>that looks like:
>
>	Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 13:27:10 GMT
>
>while every other article I receive from outside the system does not contain
>the day of the week preceding the day of the month.

There are a large variety of legal date formats.  Specifically, any date
format acceptable according to RFC822 (the document definining the
format of Internet mail headers) is legit.

inews, rnews, expire, etc. contain a parser (written in yacc) to
understand all legal RFC822 dates.  rn does not, but rn makes no
attempt to parse Date: headers; it's just a uninterpreted string as
far as rn is concerned (no time-based sorting).

>My question:  is this within the limits of valid date headers?

Yes, it's a valid date, and evidently nn is broken.  There is an
official standard; news software should obey the standard.  It's not
enough just to fix nn to handle the day of the week; do the full job.
You don't have to write the code, either.

Grab the file "getdate.y" (first written in 1979; it's as old as the net)
from the news 2.11 distribution (just about every net site will have
this around somewhere) and use it.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck