[news.software.b] more patch-naming madness

In article <1989Aug25.165727.5229@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.COM (Larry Blair) writes:
>Henry, why don't you consider adding patch numbering to your current scheme?
>It would make the rest of us happy, show that you have the capacity for
>change, and still allow you to experiment with date-based numbering.

Since many people obviously are so accustomed to numbers that they have
trouble coping with anything else (and therefore think numbers right and
natural, and anything else bizarre and perverse), if we do both, people
will use their beloved numbers and ignore the dates.  The only way to run
a fair experiment is to stick to dates.  That's what we're going to do.

Once again, if you want to rant about this, please do it in mail, not by
posting yet more repetitious bickering here.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu