[news.software.b] Are C news patches being archived anywhere?

fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) (08/24/89)

Who is archiving the patches to C news?  I don't see them on osu-cis,
and since they came across news.software.b instead of comp.sources.*
they won't be in anybody's favorite source-group archive.

The reason for the question is I find we're missing patch 3, dated
7/23/89, so if somebody could point me at this one in particular, I'd
be grateful.  But the original question still stands, in case we (or
anybody else) miss a future patch.

---
Tom Fitzgerald - Wang Labs - fitz@wang.com - ...uunet!wang!fitz - 508-967-5278
---
My [high school aptitude] test results indicated that my destiny was to become
a secretary.  I scored highest in 'clerical'.                  --  Frank Zappa

wes@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Wes.Craig) (08/25/89)

In article <516@wang.UUCP> fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
[ Asks if anyone is archiving cnews patches ]

They're on terminator.cc.umich.edu:~ftp/unix/news (35.1.33.8). We do
our best to stay up to date. We don't offer any sort of uucp access to
our archive, but if there is significant interest, something can be
done.

wes
mailrus!wes
wes@mailrus.cc.umich.edu

news@fps.com (NetNews Administrator) (08/25/89)

In article <1989Aug24.190210.970@terminator.cc.umich.edu> wes@redheat.cc.umich.edu (Wes.Craig) writes:
>In article <516@wang.UUCP> fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
>[ Asks if anyone is archiving cnews patches ]
>They're on terminator.cc.umich.edu:~ftp/unix/news (35.1.33.8). We do
>our best to stay up to date. We don't offer any sort of uucp access to
>our archive, but if there is significant interest, something can be
>done.

Thank You!  I somehow missed the Jul 23 patch and I didn't even know
about it until I saw it in the new patch.  Uunet doesn't seem to have
it unless I want to download the entire cnews distribution again (
same story for neat).  The comp.sources.unix archives on uunet only
have something called "patch1".  Thanks for posting the internet
address too because the machine I grabbed it with couldn't talk to
your name-server but the internet address got me through.  I don't
want to download the entire thing again since we aren't on the
internet and I have to download things from a guest account on an
internet machine and then transfer it to my site via phone line at
2400 baud.

I do have one question though: you are using patch numbers, why?  I
know there's a big flame war going on right now but don't the author's
wishes count for anything?  I personally don't care one way or the
other since I don't really see a big problem with either method but
it'd be nice to be consistent.  Fortunately, with only 4 patches, it
only took me 0.5 seconds to figure out that cnews.patch.3 was the Jul
23 patch but if we get up to 15 patches or so it won't be so easy.
Henry and Geoff claim/hope this won't happen but who knows?

--Bill Davidson

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (08/26/89)

The Cnews patches are now on uunet:
	comp.sources.unix/volume19/cnews2/
					  pch23jun89.Z
					  pch07jul89.Z
					  pch23jul89.Z
					  pch22aug89.Z
					  pch24aug89.Z
UUNET clients and FTP-folks on the Internet, go for it.  (Five down, one
expected, 11 to go.)

As I've mentioned to Henry in response to his "email us your problems with
date-based patches," numeric patches have obvious "official names";
date-based less-so.  (Hints: sorting, .Z, non-BSD filesystems, European-US
difference on whether 2/10/60 is October 2 or my birthday. :-)
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

In article <516@wang.UUCP> fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
>Who is archiving the patches to C news?  I don't see them on osu-cis,
>and since they came across news.software.b instead of comp.sources.*
>they won't be in anybody's favorite source-group archive.

The comp.sources.unix archives are getting them by mail and are
archiving them.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/26/89)

In article <585@celit.com> news@fps.com (NetNews Administrator) writes:
   In article <1989Aug24.190210.970@terminator.cc.umich.edu> wes@redheat.cc.umich.edu (Wes.Craig) writes:
      In article <516@wang.UUCP> fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
         [ Asks if anyone is archiving cnews patches ]

      We don't offer any sort of uucp access to our archive...

They're on osu-cis for UUCP and tut.cis.ohio-state.edu for FTP.

   I do have one question though: you are using patch numbers, why?
   ...don't the author's wishes count for anything?

OK, the copies here are called osu-cis!~/news/c/
cnews-890623.Z
cnews-890707.Z
cnews-890723.Z
cnews-890822.Z
cnews-890824.Z

I hope that's a reasonable compromise between dated versions (for the
author), descriptive filenames that sort conveniently (for the rest of
us), and short filenames (for the rest of them with short-naming
filesystems).

In article <1942@prune.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>As I've mentioned to Henry in response to his "email us your problems with
>date-based patches," numeric patches have obvious "official names";
>date-based less-so...

Rich wins the prize for actually pointing out a problem we hadn't thought of!
(And, therefore, for producing the *first* article on the subject that we
actually consider interesting.  We're not holding our breaths waiting for
the next one... :-( )