[news.software.b] Cnews active min field

Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK (06/25/89)

In article <1989Jun20.213129.8095@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <10931@ibmpcug.UUCP> Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.co.uk writes:
>>Another question: Why does only the max field in active get expanded to
>>		  10 digits but not the min field? (I'm obviously missing
>>		  something obvious here, but I can't find it in the
>>		  docs/READMEs)
>
>This is more or less an oversight.  We consider the min field to be a
>silly kludge for broken news readers, and pay very little attention to it.
>So we missed that one.

Uh..  I must'a missed something here - You recommend lwall's rn don't you?
So do I - and I'm sure that it does use the min field - at least it seems
to notice if I change a few by hand :-)

If you have time, I wouldn't mind a quick two-line explanation of how you
would replace the min field's function.

Not a flame, Henry - I appreciate your many and varied contributions to
the net, and now especially a nice lean & mean news transport - I'm just
confused - and I don't want to install new software while I'm confused,
but I'll kill for that fast expire!

Thanks for listening.

In article <10947@ibmpcug.UUCP> Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK writes:
>Uh..  I must'a missed something here - You recommend lwall's rn don't you?
>So do I - and I'm sure that it does use the min field - at least it seems
>to notice if I change a few by hand :-)

On the other hand, it doesn't do anything unpleasant if you just leave them
all at zero.  We do.

>If you have time, I wouldn't mind a quick two-line explanation of how you
>would replace the min field's function.

The basic problem with the min field is that it doesn't supply enough
information.  The implicit assumption is that the min..max range is
densely populated with articles, so no further information need be
supplied.  This just isn't so, given the possibility of articles with
far-in-future explicit expiration dates.  Any sensible news reader has
to be prepared to go in and read the directory itself to find out what
articles are really present.  Given that, what use is min?
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (06/26/89)

In article <1989Jun25.174800.13276@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Any sensible news reader has
> to be prepared to go in and read the directory itself to find out what
> articles are really present.  Given that, what use is min?

Well, for one thing, not every newsreader has access to the directory
itself, which makes this approach a little difficult (NNTP clients, for
example).  Now, there may be better ways to figure out what's going
on :-), but the min field at least gives the newsreader an idea of
where to start checking for articles.  Even in a sparsely populated
group, earlier articles tend to expire before later ones...

How much of an improvement to expire's speed does ignoring the min field
really gain?

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.uu.net>
InterCon Systems Corporation

In article <26-Jun-89.101532@192.41.214.2> amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) writes:
>... not every newsreader has access to the directory
>itself, which makes this approach a little difficult (NNTP clients, for
>example)...

We class that as a deficiency in NNTP, best remedied by fixing the protocol.

>How much of an improvement to expire's speed does ignoring the min field
>really gain?

It probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in speed.  There are
many useless features that could be added without much cost in speed.
--

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (06/29/89)

In article <1989Jun25.174800.13276@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Any sensible news reader has
> to be prepared to go in and read the directory itself to find out what
> articles are really present.  Given that, what use is min?

Apparently the newly posted NN newsreader isn't sensible.  It maintains
an article database on which a crude expire is performed, based on the
min field.  A full rebuild of the database is too expensive to do every
night.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (07/03/89)

In article <1812@ucsd.EDU>, brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
> At the time we designed the protocol, no news reader needed a list of
> all article numbers ahead of time.  To my knowledge, still none do.
> 	- Brian

Well, actually, I wasn't complaining about a deficiency in NNTP or any
specific problem with C news; I was objecting (very mildly...)
to Henry's claim that newsreaders should expect to have to go rummaging
around in the spool directory to find out what's there.  My only point was
that not all readers have that luxury.

I'm quite happy with NNTP, actually.

The only time I can think of that a newsreader could possibly want a list
off all articles in a group is when it sees a newsgroup for the absolutely
first time.

--
Amanda Walker  <amanda@intercon.uu.net>
InterCon Systems Corporation
--
"Those preachers are right--there's more in these songs
than meets the eye..."  --Arlo Guthrie

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (08/08/89)

What deficiency?  NNTP will a) give you the next article, and b) list
and article either by article-id or by ordinal number in the current
newsgroup.

Oh, you wanted a list of valid article numbers ahead of time?  You can
get them the same way you would if you couldn't directly read the
directory; given a minimum number and a maximum number, you could (if
you really wanted to) step through and stat the corresponding filename.
NNTP will let you do that if you wish.

dell@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas E. Dell) (08/27/89)

In article <1812@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>What deficiency?  NNTP will a) give you the next article, and b) list
>and article either by article-id or by ordinal number in the current
>newsgroup.
>
>Oh, you wanted a list of valid article numbers ahead of time?  You can
>get them the same way you would if you couldn't directly read the
>directory; given a minimum number and a maximum number, you could (if
>you really wanted to) step through and stat the corresponding filename.
>NNTP will let you do that if you wish.
>
>At the time we designed the protocol, no news reader needed a list of
>all article numbers ahead of time.  To my knowledge, still none do.
>	- Brian

One of Rn's problems is that it does indeed have significant performance
loss when skipping through large amounts of nonexistant articles. This is
also true for Rrn, I've noticed.

I've written something that uses opendir() etc to get minimum/maximum
number (hilo) of messages. Unfortunately I have not extended this because
of the NNTP problem. It is VERY useful for a newsreader to have information
about valid article numbers, and I hope someone with influence over NNTP's
direction will realize there is a demand for this feature.

              - T0M
           (dell@ames-nas.arpa)