[news.software.b] Please make "Lines:" header required

weemba@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (09/03/89)

In article <1989Sep2.200616.8524@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu>, coolidge@brutus (John Coolidge) writes:
>I think the Lines: feature in C News should still be optional, as long
>as Lines: is not a required header in the RFC. I also think the RFC
>needs a rewrite, and at that time it should be decided if Lines: is
>worth making required.

Without it being required, a newsreader can't do a buffered article
read-in and simultaneously give the reader a percentage.

What should I do about this in Gnews 2.1?  Include a "please wait,
this article won't be buffered due to C News idiocy" message?  Feh.
--
-Matthew P Wiener (weemba@beaver.ics.uci.edu, weemba@math.berkeley.edu)