[news.software.b] C News sys file strangeness

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (09/05/89)

I have the following line in my sys file that does not seem to work:

#
# Mail rec.humor.funny to users
#
funnystuff:rec.humor.funny::mail user1 user2 user3

I wondered whether it was lack of a flag in the flag field. I created the
following entry:

#
# testing
test:ba.test::mail kayvan

I posted various articles with local distribution to ba.test and did not
get a copy of the articles... I tried putting the 'B' flag in the
flag field, making:

test:ba.test:B:mail kayvan

No change. I did not get mailed the articles I posted. What gives?

Incidentally, the following line *does* work:

#
# Locally generated news gets sent to usenet as well
#
localstuff:ba,ca,inet,world,bionet,unix-pc,usrgroup,comp,sci,news,\
	rec,soc,talk,misc,na,usa,alt,pubnet,su,biz,essug,gnu,to,\
	!to.coherent.ctl,!to.mrspoc.ctl:L:mail usenet

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Geoff and Henry, for the great software.

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (09/06/89)

Kayvan Sylvan:
>I have the following line in my sys file that does not seem to work:
>funnystuff:rec.humor.funny::mail user1 user2 user3

This seems to be a common problem.  Remember that in order to match a
sys file entry, an article's Newsgroups: must match the newsgroup
pattern given in the sys file entry, *and* the article's Distribution:
("world" by default) must match the distribution pattern in the sys
file entry (which by default is the sys file entry's newsgroup
pattern).  In B news, this is conventionally written as

	funnystuff:rec.humor.funny,world,!world.all::mail user1 user2 user3

C news lets you give the distribution pattern separately, so either of
these would also work:

	funnystuff:rec.humor.funny/world::mail user1 user2 user3
	funnystuff:rec.humor.funny/all::mail user1 user2 user3
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

In article <1989Sep5.175836.16963@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>>I have the following line in my sys file that does not seem to work:
>>funnystuff:rec.humor.funny::mail user1 user2 user3
>
>This seems to be a common problem.  Remember that in order to match a
>sys file entry, an article's Newsgroups: must match the newsgroup
>pattern given in the sys file entry, *and* the article's Distribution:
>("world" by default) must match the distribution pattern in the sys
>file entry...

Incidentally, our apologies for not making sure that this was documented
conspicuously.  On the theory that examples are better than specifications
for such things, one of the recent patches put an example of this into the
prototype sys file we supply.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu