[news.software.b] Require "Lines:"?

weemba@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (09/03/89)

In article <1989Sep2.200616.8524@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu>, coolidge@brutus (John Coolidge) writes:
>					     I also think the RFC needs
>a rewrite, and at that time it should be decided if Lines: is worth
>making required.

If it or some equivalent is not there, a newsreader can't do a buffered
article read-in and simultaneously give the reader a percentage.

What should I do about this in Gnews 2.1?  Include a "please wait,
this article won't be buffered due to C News idiocy" message?  Feh.
--
-Matthew P Wiener (weemba@beaver.ics.uci.edu, weemba@math.berkeley.edu)

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/03/89)

weemba@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>In article <1989Sep2.200616.8524@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu>, coolidge@brutus (John Coolidge) writes:
>>					     I also think the RFC needs
>>a rewrite, and at that time it should be decided if Lines: is worth
>>making required.

>If it or some equivalent is not there, a newsreader can't do a buffered
>article read-in and simultaneously give the reader a percentage.

>What should I do about this in Gnews 2.1?  Include a "please wait,
>this article won't be buffered due to C News idiocy" message?  Feh.

If you're going to put in such a message, it should be more along the
lines of "please wait, news does not force enough support" or some such.
IMHO, a package which adheres fully to some standard shouldn't be
considered "idiotic" when it chooses not to implement a non-required
part of that standard. That's what the entire point of making some things
not required is!

I'm also still not sure Lines: is the place to require such support. It's
just as cheap, once one has already decided to retrieve an article, to
do a stat() on the file and find out (far more precisely than Lines:)
how big a given article is. What? NNTP doesn't offer support for doing this?
Than the real problem is with NNTP support, not with Lines: at all...

Of course, no newsreader that I know of currently uses the stat() idea
to figure out the size of an article directly (their pager does, though,
in many cases), while several use Lines:. For that reason I really
encourage everyone to provide Lines:, because it really is useful
information as things are currently implemented. Anyone who's running
C News should turn on Lines: support ASAP. But I balk at pointing fingers
or calling names at those who DON'T provide Lines: --- they've just chosen
not to do something which is clearly an optional thing to do.

Finally: If Lines: is to be required, I'd like to see it expanded (either
by the same name or by some new name, Size: for instance) to carry wc-like
information. The byte count is clearly useful, and I can envision word
count information having some value at all. If it's required that we spend
the time and space to provide Lines:, let's at least generate a bunch of
useful information all at once.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
to provide Lines:

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (09/06/89)

In article <1989Sep3.160552.25045@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John L. Coolidge) writes:
>Finally: If Lines: is to be required, I'd like to see it expanded (either
>by the same name or by some new name, Size: for instance) to carry wc-like
>information. The byte count is clearly useful, and I can envision word
>count information having some value at all. If it's required that we spend
>the time and space to provide Lines:, let's at least generate a bunch of
>useful information all at once.

This came up before in a discussion about NNTP batching.  A byte count
set by the orriginating system is not going to be portable to other
systems.

For example, NNTP transmitts articles in "network" format.  That means
it terminates each line with a carriage-return and a line-feed.  So a
byte count would have an additional byte for each line than would be
present if the article was on a typical Unix system.

This is not just a transport issue;  Some systems are going to store the
article in different formats.  Not only will the line terminators change
but some systems might use fixed length records or (yuck) translate tabs
into blanks.

The "lines" header is not a CRC for checking whether the article has
been corrupted.  It is not going to help in article transfer or
batching.  It is useful for getting a "human" estimate of the size of an
article though a count of "words" or "printing" characters would be more
useful.
					Jerry Aguirre

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/06/89)

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>In article <1989Sep3.160552.25045@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> I write:
>>Finally: If Lines: is to be required, I'd like to see it expanded (either
>>by the same name or by some new name, Size: for instance) to carry wc-like
>>information. The byte count is clearly useful, and I can envision word
>>count information having some value at all. If it's required that we spend
>>the time and space to provide Lines:, let's at least generate a bunch of
>>useful information all at once.
>This came up before in a discussion about NNTP batching.  A byte count
>set by the orriginating system is not going to be portable to other
>systems.
> [reasons: file system, line format, etc., deleted]

Quite true, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. That doesn't mean an
estimate of it is not useful, especially if the count was actually
'characters' --- the number of user-readable characters in the message.

>The "lines" header is not a CRC for checking whether the article has
>been corrupted.  It is not going to help in article transfer or
>batching.  It is useful for getting a "human" estimate of the size of an
>article though a count of "words" or "printing" characters would be more
>useful.

Exactly. Neither Lines: or any replacement will be useful for anti-
corruption, transport, etc., reasons. They're a user-information
feature, similar to Keywords:, Summary:, Organization:, and the like.
The time a character count is useful is when there are 500 lines in the
article, 450 of which are blank. The time a line count is useful is:
the same one (surprise :-)) so that you know the next 450 lines will be
blank. Words could be a useful measure as well, perhaps the most useful
of all.

I think the overall point is: Lines:, Size:, or whatever-we-call-it:,
is a very useful header. There's a good chance it ought to be a required
header. Right now it isn't, and it's wrong to flame a system for not
providing clearly optional features. Some sort of consensus needs to
be found as to whether whatever-it-is is to be required, or not, and
that needs to be encapsulated in a new standard. Until then, anarchy
reigns --- and let the reader beware!