[news.software.b] Xref transmission

In article <1989Sep1.005346.17308@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>To avoid transmitting Xref:, the batcher would have to exclude Xref:s
>when forming batches.  It could be done at some cost in CPU cycles.
>I'll ask Henry when he gets back if he wants to do this.

Gurgle.  No.  The batcher is the last place where one wants extra cycles,
since it gets run once per article *per feed site*.  As John Coolidge has
pointed out, this is a thoroughly harmless deviation from standard and is
quite difficult to fix *really right*.  I do not like *any* deviations, but
this one appears worthwhile.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu