[news.software.b] news via NFS

mwolf@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Wolf) (09/08/89)

Thanks for the quick response everyone gave me on my last question.

I've got another question for you all.

I'd like to install news on our network gateway machine, and
make the news files available across the network via NFS.  Is
there any reason why this wont work?  Also, is there something
about NNTP which makes it better the NFS for providing news
to everyone's workstation?  We're running a Sun shop, so there
aren't any computers that don't have NFS.

Thanks again,

Michael Wolf
mwolf@Teknowledge.COM

lamy@AI.UTORONTO.CA (Jean-Francois Lamy) (09/08/89)

mwolf@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Wolf) writes:

>I'd like to install news on our network gateway machine, and
>make the news files available across the network via NFS.  Is
>there any reason why this wont work?  Also, is there something
>about NNTP which makes it better the NFS for providing news
>to everyone's workstation?  We're running a Sun shop, so there
>aren't any computers that don't have NFS.

Reading news over NFS has the advantage you don't have to fiddle with
newsreaders that expect a spool.  We use NFS to give access to the spool
directories, and NNTP to exchange news and do centralized posting.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (09/10/89)

In article <28527@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mwolf@Teknowledge.COM (Michael Wolf) writes:
=I'd like to install news on our network gateway machine, and
=make the news files available across the network via NFS.  Is
=there any reason why this wont work?  Also, is there something
=about NNTP which makes it better the NFS for providing news
=to everyone's workstation?  We're running a Sun shop, so there
=aren't any computers that don't have NFS.

This is one of the things that I really like about C news.  Setting up an
NFS based news network is trivial and requires no special compilation of the
code.  I mount everything news related on every machine and the software
treats it all transparently.

If I remember correctly 2.11 required a different version of inews for the
client machines.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com