From: Mailer-Daemon@alfred.Teknowledge.COM (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: mwolf@alfred.Teknowledge.COM

550 comp-sys-sun... User unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
To: comp-sys-sun
From: mwolf@Teknowledge.COM (Michael Wolf)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: Call-back modem vendors?
Date: 20 Sep 89 01:47:24 GMT

[ message body deleted ]
---

The line in the active file for comp.sys.sun looks like this:

---
comp.sys.sun 0005608 0005576 m
---

Nothing in the installation instructions said anything about creating
mail aliases for the moderated groups.  Can anyone tell me
what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Wolf
mwolf@Teknowledge.COM

p.s.  It's a good thing this group isn't moderated, eh?  ;-)

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/23/89)

Create a file /usr/lib/news/mailpaths which looks like this:

backbone	%s@nearest.site.that.maintains.the.moderated.aliases
internet	%s@nearest.site.that.can.address.the.internet

Chances are that you can just use
internet	%s
for the 2nd one.

The code dealing with detection of moderated postings uses the
mailpaths file to decide where to send such stuff.  If you don't
maintain such an alias file, you have to see to it that you mail
things to a host that does.  I believe that the periodic posting from
Spaf on the creation of the mailpaths file lists the hosts to which he
routinely distributes the master moderated aliases file.

--Karl

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/23/89)

In article <220@alfred.Teknowledge.COM> mwolf@Teknowledge.COM (Michael Wolf) writes:
: I've installed B-News 2.11 and NNTP 1.5.5 on my system.  Everything
: works great, except when people try to post to moderated groups.
:
: Nothing in the installation instructions said anything about creating
: mail aliases for the moderated groups.

Not quite. Look at the documentation for the "mailpaths" file in the
B news documents.

---
bill@twwells.com

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (09/23/89)

In B news 2.11, mail to moderators is done by using the 'backbone' line. In
other words, if you backbone entry were:

backbone	foo!bar!%s

posts to moderated groups would be mailed to foo!bar![group name] with group
name having the '.' replaced by '-'. Hope that helps!!

--
Elliot Dierksen                 UUCP: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}!tarpit!alfred!elliot

"You can only be you once, but you can be immature forever!"