[news.software.b] C News Patches

mcmahon@isctsse.UUCP (Brendan McMahon) (09/22/89)

I need the two Cnews patches from August.

A while ago I mailed this request to c-news@utstat.toronto.edu,  I also
mailed the person who posted a request of Cnews patches to this group earlier
this week.   No luck.  Could someone please mail me these two patches, or tell
me where to get them?

--
Brendan McMahon
...!rochester!kodak!kadsma!mcmahon -  mcmahon@kadsma.kodak.com

In article <307@isctsse.UUCP> mcmahon@isctsse.UUCP (Brendan McMahon) writes:
>I need the two Cnews patches from August.
>A while ago I mailed this request to c-news@utstat.toronto.edu ...

We'd very much prefer to avoid running a patch-mailing service; the c-news
address is meant for bug reports and the like.  You should have gotten a
reply, although it's possible that we simply didn't get your message at all.
The comp.sources.unix archivers are the preferred contacts for patches;
they get them by mail at the same time as the postings.
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

karl@godiva.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/25/89)

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com writes:
   In article <307@isctsse.UUCP> mcmahon@isctsse.UUCP (Brendan McMahon) writes:
   >I need the two Cnews patches from August.
   Yeah and I need them as well.

All C News source and patches are available via anon uucp to osu-cis
in ~/news/c:

-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        26613 Jun 23 20:43 cnews-890623.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        21979 Jul 10 14:58 cnews-890707.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        14503 Aug 24 17:00 cnews-890723.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        28218 Aug 24 17:00 cnews-890822.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        25518 Aug 25 03:04 cnews-890824.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        25485 Sep 17 21:05 cnews-890914.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl       100000 Jun 23 20:44 cnews.Z-part-aa
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl       100000 Jun 23 20:44 cnews.Z-part-ab
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl       100000 Jun 23 20:44 cnews.Z-part-ac
-rw-rw-r--  1 karl        87157 Jun 23 20:44 cnews.Z-part-ad

--Karl

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/25/89)

In article <307@isctsse.UUCP> mcmahon@isctsse.UUCP (Brendan McMahon) writes:
>I need the two Cnews patches from August.

	Yeah and I need them as well.  This seems to be a common occurance
and brings up a question in my mind.  The C news sources were posted
to comp.sources.unix were they not?  Then why in h*ll aren't the official
patches posted there as well.  The moderator there recently, as well as
the one for comp.misc, assured everyone that patches are given expidited
treatment.  These moderated groups are automatically archived on many sites
(mine included) but there is no way we can archive every conceivable news
group where someone might post a patch.  POST THE PATCHES WHERE YOU POSTED THE
SOURCES!!  This was at the heart of a long and sometimes bitter discusion
of creating "comp.sources.patches".  The group failed and the discusion
finally wound down only after Rick Saltz (comp.sources.unix) and others kicked
in and assure one and all of their support for patches in the groups.

	To the authors of C news:  Give us a break and post all patches PAST,
PRESENT, and FUTURE to comp.source.unix WHERE THEY BELONG!  This should make
life simpler on all of us and cut way down on this "Where can I find patches"
bullsh*t.  This goes for the authors of other related packages as well.
Post your patches where you posted your sources.  We are not all long distance
mind readers out here on the net.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/26/89)

In article <KARL.89Sep24153518@godiva.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@godiva.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>All C News source and patches are available via anon uucp to osu-cis
>in ~/news/c:

	Ok great.  But I don't have the facts and figures on osu-cis anon uucp.
Whats the baud rate, the phone number, and the chat sequence.  I've seen
the postings about the presence of these archives before, but not once have
I seen the particulars.  I also archive comp.archives and can't find anythng
in there (although I did loose two months worth due to a typo in the sys file).

	Regardless of the osu-cis archives, we do still need all patches posted
to the original groups the sources were posted to.

---

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/27/89)

In article <8760@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> mhw@wittsend.UUCP (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) writes:
:       Ok great.  But I don't have the facts and figures on osu-cis anon uucp.
: Whats the baud rate, the phone number, and the chat sequence.  I've seen
: the postings about the presence of these archives before, but not once have
: I seen the particulars.

Every month or so, Karl posts a long message containing all that as
well as a description of what is in the archive.

:                          I also archive comp.archives and can't find anythng
: in there (although I did loose two months worth due to a typo in the sys file).

Comp.archives has a mail server. Send a message to
comp-archives-server@twwells.com with the following contents:

path wittsend!mhw
send index
send help
quit

and it will send you a help message and the current index. You can
use this to get information on whichever sites you've lost.

(Others: substitute your e-mail address for wittsend!mhw to get this
info. And, oh yes, those of you with archives, let me know if you'd
like to be listed.)

---
bill@twwells.com

send comp.archives postings to comp-archives@twwells.com