[news.software.b] Can anyone tell me how to set up local newsgroups using C News?

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (10/12/89)

I've been looking at the documents and have not figured it out.

I suppose if I set up a local hierarchy, say, "local", that since that is
not being transmitted to my neighbors, it would be a local newsgroup...

Is that correct?

Is there any way I can set up a mailing list and newsgroup as repeaters?
(i.e. What gets mailed to mailing list also gets posted to newsgroup
and what gets posted to newsgroup also ends up on the mailing list)

Is there an easy way to set up default distributions on a per group
basis without hacking the inews shell script?

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

In article <KAYVAN.89Oct11200630@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>I've been looking at the documents and have not figured it out.

It is admitted that C News documentation is a bit weak for novices.

>I suppose if I set up a local hierarchy, say, "local", that since that is
>not being transmitted to my neighbors, it would be a local newsgroup...
>Is that correct?

That's right.  If it doesn't get sent to neighbors, it's local.

>Is there any way I can set up a mailing list and newsgroup as repeaters?
>(i.e. What gets mailed to mailing list also gets posted to newsgroup
>and what gets posted to newsgroup also ends up on the mailing list)

We don't provide official support, but you might look around in the
contrib/nntpmail directory; there is stuff there that is claimed to do
an okay job of mail/news gatewaying.

>Is there an easy way to set up default distributions on a per group
>basis without hacking the inews shell script?

Something has to get hacked, either inews or the software you're using
to post the news, if you want a customized Distribution header in each
message.  It's not a standard feature of inews.  Do you really need the
header, as opposed to just setting up your sys file to pass things
around where you want them and not where you don't?
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu