[news.software.b] News software

bryce@eris.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/03/88)

In article <> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:

>I am going to urge a NO vote on comp.binaries.hypercard.  My reasons?
>Basically, two.  First, the volume...
>...Second, the limited applicability of this...
>
>If you take this as a condemnation of binary groups in general, you're
>probably right.

It would be very intersting to see how many times computer-specific
binary messages are actually downloaded by someone.*  I strongly suspect
is is often a much smaller number than the magic "100 message - mail vs.
net breakeven point".

Perhaphs what is needed is a demand based system.**  A reader sees a
*full* description of the binary, and presses a key that means
"I want a copy".  This message is stored by rn, and transmitted
upstream next time news is processed.***  The delay is unimportant
for most binaries, (especially long binaries).****

* Yes, I am aware how impossible this would be under the current system.
** Yes I know that it would be much work to add.  Also I know, but do
not like, the fact that not all sites run the same software, and that
may sites run old software.  (-: I'll bet more would upgrade if the new
system was made incompatible :-).
*** A backchannel would be great for reader-based "ratings" on the
quality of articles.
**** Yes, there is justification for this.  The only urgent binaries
are likely to be patches.  Patches are usually small.

|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{O_o} .     Bryce Nesbitt
 (")        BIX: mleeds (temporarily)
  U	    USENET: bryce@eris.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!eris!bryce

cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) (05/06/89)

The one feature that I would like to see in the news-software
(version 3?) would be the ability to use the 'active' news files
to dump newsgroups into the VOID! (/dev/null) That way, the feed
never needs to be modified or updated for partial feeds or for full
feed sites, they could get rid of newsgroups they don't feed or
need. A way this could work is the newsgroup would have a '!' either
in front of it, in place of the 0's or replacing the 'y' or 'm'.
Of course, to turn it on again, one need only change back again.
What do you think??

--

Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp. -  DOMAIN  cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
UUCP		{ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!cyrill

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/04/89)

In <1989Sep30.050659.21928@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack):
DM> Wrong, at least in news2.11 and C news. If an article is received with
DM> no valid news groups, it goes into junk and isn't broadcast to neighboring
DM> sites, regardless of the Distribution field. NNTP may behave differently.

NNTP doesn't behave differently because it doesn't behave on that
level at all.  NNTP is just a transport mechanism; it interacts with
the existing "News Overlord Software" which makes the real decisions
about where to put articles and to whom to forward them.

Just trying to clear up a misunderstanding before it spreads too far.
Follow-ups to news.software.b which has become a general news.software
group.  Perhaps it is time to really change the name.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (10/04/89)

In <1989Sep30.050659.21928@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack):
DM> Wrong, at least in news2.11 and C news. If an article is received with
DM> no valid news groups, it goes into junk and isn't broadcast to neighboring
DM> sites, regardless of the Distribution field. NNTP may behave differently.

Sorry to correct you Dave,  but in at least some instances of C news,
the article is still broadcast.  I noticed this with the newgroup control
message (perhaps a special case?) for comp.dsp.
--
Insanity is the exception in individuals.  In groups, parties, people,
and times, it is the rule.

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (10/05/89)

In article <1989Oct4.153218.14076@ginger.acc.com> pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) writes:
>In <1989Sep30.050659.21928@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack):
>DM> Wrong, at least in news2.11 and C news. If an article is received with
>DM> no valid news groups, it goes into junk and isn't broadcast to neighboring
>DM> sites, regardless of the Distribution field. NNTP may behave differently.
>
>Sorry to correct you Dave,  but in at least some instances of C news,
>the article is still broadcast.  I noticed this with the newgroup control
>message (perhaps a special case?) for comp.dsp.

My apologies - yes, it appears that non-local control messages always
propagate. There may be a couple of other exceptions as well, but in
general, an article which has no valid newsgroups will be junked and
not be sent to other sites.

--
Dave Mack				McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems
uunet!inco!mack, inco%mack@uunet.uu.net			(703)883-3911

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (10/05/89)

Dave Mack:
> Wrong, at least in news2.11 and C news. If an article is received with
> no valid news groups, it goes into junk and isn't broadcast to neighboring
> sites, regardless of the Distribution field.

This is false in the case of C news.  Articles may be filed in the
control or junk pseudo-groups, but that has no effect on their
distribution (see relaynews(8)).  Your active file may be missing some
groups, while your neighbours have those groups in their active files.
If you really want to drop articles in certain groups, and ignoring
cross-posting for now, you must either write "!unwanted.group" in your
sys file subscription list, or you must change the flags field of
"unwanted.group" to "x" (see news(5)).
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (10/08/89)

In article <1989Oct4.234355.3680@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>Dave Mack:
>> Wrong, at least in news2.11 and C news. If an article is received with
>> no valid news groups, it goes into junk and isn't broadcast to neighboring
>> sites, regardless of the Distribution field.
>
>This is false in the case of C news.  Articles may be filed in the
>control or junk pseudo-groups, but that has no effect on their
>distribution (see relaynews(8)).  Your active file may be missing some
>groups, while your neighbours have those groups in their active files.
>If you really want to drop articles in certain groups, and ignoring
>cross-posting for now, you must either write "!unwanted.group" in your
>sys file subscription list, or you must change the flags field of
>"unwanted.group" to "x" (see news(5)).

Urk! Sorry, I botched the sense of the test of okrefusal. I thought the
ST_DROPPED bit was getting set.

OK, so news2.11 junks articles with no valid newsgroups, C news passes
them on. I can see arguments in favor of each strategy. With news2.11,
it's possible to rmgroup a group and actually have it gradually disappear;
with Cnews, everything still circulates unless you take steps to squash
it in your sys file. On the other hand, with Cnews, a site has more
trouble blocking transmission of a legit group that it doesn't like.

Since I'm not overly concerned with newsgroup deletion but am concerned
with the maximum propagation of "real" newsgroups, I suggest that the
way C News does it is correct. Comments?

Dave Mack

greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (10/10/89)

in article <5654@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) says:
> .........  There may be a couple of other exceptions as well, but in
> general, an article which has no valid newsgroups will be junked and
> not be sent to other sites.

Oh.... yeah?. We run Bnews (I think) and man inews says (talking about
inews -p):

     When inews	receives an article this way, it will check the
     history file to make sure that the	article	is not already
     present, and it will make certain consistency checks to make
     sure that the newsgroup names are legal and that the sys
     file permits the article to be installed on the local
     machine. Once the article passes those checks, it is
     installed in the appropriate directory on the local machine.
     If	the article fails those	checks,	it is installed	in news-
     group junk	on the local machine. In any event, inews will
				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     then transmit the article to all systems that match in the
     sys file and are not mentioned in the Path: field of the
     ^^^^^^^^
     just-posted message. The details of this transmission are
     determined	by the contents	of the sys file.

	Hmmmm?
		Greyham.

--
/*  Greyham Stoney:                            Australia: (02) 428 6476  *
 *     greyham@hades.oz  - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, Sydney, Oz.      *

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (10/13/89)

In article <457@hades.OZ> greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>in article <5654@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) says:
>> .........  There may be a couple of other exceptions as well, but in
>> general, an article which has no valid newsgroups will be junked and
>> not be sent to other sites.
>
>Oh.... yeah?. We run Bnews (I think) and man inews says (talking about
>inews -p):

[quoting inews man page:]
>     If	the article fails those	checks,	it is installed	in news-
>     group junk	on the local machine. In any event, inews will
>				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     then transmit the article to all systems that match in the
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     sys file and are not mentioned in the Path: field of the
>     ^^^^^^^^
>     just-posted message. The details of this transmission are
>     determined	by the contents	of the sys file.
>
>	Hmmmm?
>		Greyham.

Sorry, I didn't look at the man page. I read the code, which says,
in part (inews.c/patchlevel17:insert()):

	    is_invalid =
		ngfcheck(username, mode == PROC, header.approved[0] != '\0');
	if (is_invalid) {
		logerr("%s: No valid newsgroups found, moved to junk",
			header.nbuf);
		if (localize("junk"))
			savehist(histline);
		exitcode = 1;
		goto writeout;
	}
writeout:
	if(exitcode == 0) {
		broadcast(mode==PROC);
	}
	xxit((mode == PROC && filename[0] == '\0') ? 0 :
		(exitcode < 0 ? 0 : exitcode));
}

All of this is ifndef NFSCLIENT, of course.