[news.software.b] Cnews version of inews with nfs server

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (10/14/89)

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I've been off the
net for 5 weeks and wasn't working on C news before.

The C news version of inews looks in the file $NEWCTL/server
for the name of the server machine.  If the running machine
is not the server, relaynews is run remotely using a command
like:

	rsh $server PATH=$PATH relaynews ...

This doesn't work for me, as I use csh, which doesn't take the
PATH=$PATH syntax.  In addition, this won't work for users here that
will not have accounts on our news server machine.

Is there a fix (preferably not involving nntp) for this?  For now,
I'm hardcoding the path of relaynews in the rsh command.

			David Elliott
			dce@sony.com | ...!{mips,uunet}!sonyusa!dce

In article <1989Oct13.222747.21136@sony.com> dce@sonyusa.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>The C news version of inews looks in the file $NEWCTL/server
>for the name of the server machine.  If the running machine
>is not the server, relaynews is run remotely using a command
>like:
>	rsh $server PATH=$PATH relaynews ...
>This doesn't work for me, as I use csh, which doesn't take the
>PATH=$PATH syntax...  Is there a fix...

The 14-Sep-1989 patch incorporated significant revisions in inews's rsh
handling, which fixed this one.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu