[news.software.b] How to set up a group for no expiration?

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (10/14/89)

Thanks to some pointers I found and ported the contrib/nntpmail/ stuff
for bidirectionally gatewaying a local newsgroup to a mailing list.

I looked at the manuals and the code for expire and could find no way
of making a news group never expire.

I ended up setting up an explist line like:

	# local accell news - Not purged for a *long* time
	local.accell	x		4000	-

This sets things up to not expire for more than ten years which seems
sufficient. My question is one of curiosity. Is there no way to set up
a newsgroup in C News so it never expires?

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

In article <KAYVAN.89Oct14025639@mrspoc.Transact.COM> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>I looked at the manuals and the code for expire and could find no way
>of making a news group never expire...

It's something I never thought of, actually.  It ought to be trivial enough,
and could be useful.  I'll do something about it.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu