[news.software.b] moderation of alt.sources vs. automated harangues

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (10/19/89)

Another thing we could do to cut down chatter in source groups is modify
the common newsreaders to automatically redirect followups to the associated
discussion group.  The algorithm would be:

	if following up to a non-null article, then
	if the newsgroup contains ".sources" but does not end in ".d", then
	if newsgroup.d exists, then
	change the Newsgroups: header line to newsgroup.d

This would take a while to percolate through but would be a civilized
thing to do.  It would not affect original postings (followups to the
null article at end-of-group in RN) or explicit invocations of Pnews,
but would still make a difference.
--
 1955-1975: 36 Elvis movies.  |  Tom Neff
 1975-1989: nothing.          |  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (10/19/89)

In article <14767@bfmny0.UU.NET>, tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
> Another thing we could do to cut down chatter in source groups is modify
> the common newsreaders to automatically redirect followups to the associated
> discussion group.  The algorithm would be:
>
> 	if following up to a non-null article, then
> 	if the newsgroup contains ".sources" but does not end in ".d", then
> 	if newsgroup.d exists, then
> 	change the Newsgroups: header line to newsgroup.d

A simpler way would be to just have a little file somewhere that had a list
of pairs of newsgroups.  If you're in one that matches the first in a pair,
use the second one of the pair as a default "Followup-To:".  Simple, general.

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>

"Tobacco is the only drug in America that will kill you if it's taken
as directed." --Dr. C. Everett Koop, former U.S. Surgeon General