[news.software.b] rn on NeXT - problem with pipes

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (10/17/89)

I was hoping this problem would be fixed by the latest fixes
and patches posted here recentley for NeXT and Sun by EPS.

Whenever I w or s an article to a file, that works fine, but
if I try to pipe the article to mail or elm, I get the following:

-> Script started on Tue Oct 17 11:08:27 1989
-> NeXT:~/>rn
-> Unread news in comp.lang.c              1 article
-> Unread news in comp.sys.ibm.pc          1 article
-> Unread news in comp.unix.questions      1 article
->
-> ********   1 unread article  in comp.lang.c--read now? [ynq] y
->
-> ****The article deleted...
->
-> --MORE--(86%)End of article 22438 (of 22438)--what next? [npq] w | mail pete
->
-> % interp buffer overflow!
->
-> Caught an internal error--.newsrc restored
-> NeXT:~/>exit
->
-> script done on Tue Oct 17 11:09:01 1989

Is there a known fix for this?  I am currently running 1.0 of the NeXT
distribution.

dml@esl.com (Denis Lynch) (10/18/89)

In article <16180@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:

   Whenever I w or s an article to a file, that works fine, but
   if I try to pipe the article to mail or elm, I get the following:

   -> Script started on Tue Oct 17 11:08:27 1989
 [stuff deleted]
   -> --MORE--(86%)End of article 22438 (of 22438)--what next? [npq] w | mail pete
   ->
   -> % interp buffer overflow!

   Is there a known fix for this?  I am currently running 1.0 of the NeXT
   distribution.

Yeah. This is appears to be a compiler bug, which I reported to NeXT. As usual,
no response from them.

In the meantime, compile (at least) the file intrp.c with the optimizer off.
When I compiled it, I also added the -g flag, who knows what really fixed it.

Believe it or not, that's all it took!

Good luck,
Denis Lynch, dml@esl.com

In article <DML.89Oct17133457@bloch.esl.com> dml@esl.com (Denis Lynch) writes:
>In article <16180@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>   Is there a known fix for this?  I am currently running 1.0 of the NeXT
>   distribution.
>Yeah. This is appears to be a compiler bug, which I reported to NeXT. As usual,
>no response from them.
>
>In the meantime, compile (at least) the file intrp.c with the optimizer off.

Must be a new bug; I've compiled everything with -O under 0.9
with no problems.
					-=EPS=-