[news.software.b] Cnews crosspostings

tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) (10/24/89)

I get only a limited set of newsgroups on our site. I don't want any
more. Some of the incoming articles are crossposted. The problem is
that articles are crossposted to all groups, even to groups I haven't
subscribed to. To prevent this I had a list of all desired newsgroups in
the sys file under Bnews, thereby preventing postings to undesired
groups. This worked fine. I do exactly the same thing (i.e. list of
desired newsgroups in sys file) with Cnews. But this does not seem to
work with Cnews. I get postings to undesired groups. Am I doing something
wrong or is this a bug ? I need to change this, there is too much noise :-(

Help, Tomas
--
                          Tomas Felner
     Modula-2 CASE Systems AS  |  Internet: tomas@m2cs.uu.no

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (10/24/89)

Perhaps this should be added to the "commonly-asked questions" articles
in news.announce.newuser.  If you don't want a group, either x it out in
your active file ("unwanted.group 00000 00000 x") or bang it out in
your sys file subscription list ("...,!unwanted.group") and delete its
entry from your active file.  The active file is the definitive list of
locally-valid groups, so if you don't want a group, why is it in your
active file without an x flag?
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

In article <1989Oct23.183020.2910@m2cs.uu.no> tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) writes:
>... articles are crossposted to all groups, even to groups I haven't
>subscribed to. To prevent this I had a list of all desired newsgroups in
>the sys file under Bnews, thereby preventing postings to undesired
>groups. This worked fine. I do exactly the same thing (i.e. list of
>desired newsgroups in sys file) with Cnews. But this does not seem to
>work with Cnews...

Is there some reason why groups you don't want are in your active file?
If not, take them out, or set the fourth field to "x" to reject them.

In any case, I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies.  Can you be more
specific?  If it's just the cross-postings, you are getting those articles
*anyway* because of the "good" groups in them; what is the problem with
also having them show up in the "bad" groups?  If you are getting articles
that are posted to "bad" groups only, you should probably have your feed
site stop sending them.  If you want to completely reject any article that
is posted to a "bad" group, even if it is also cross-posted to a "good"
group, I don't think we can help you; you should complain to the people
who post stuff to inappropriate groups.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu