[news.software.b] rn patchlevel 40

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) (10/22/89)

	I know that this has been re-hashed here before, but where
can I locate patchlevel 40 for rn (actually rrn)?  I got the rrn.tar
file off of Lwall's machine, but that was only up to patchlevel 39
(at least according to the patchlevel.h file).  Please E-mail

==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eng.umd.edu)	(301) 454-3184	==
==  UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug	(301) 454-1526	==
========="X Windows: Power Tools for Power Fools"=========

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (10/25/89)

In article <1989Oct22.161129.18949@eng.umd.edu> smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) writes:

>	I know that this has been re-hashed here before, but where
>can I locate patchlevel 40 for rn (actually rrn)?  I got the rrn.tar
>file off of Lwall's machine, but that was only up to patchlevel 39
>(at least according to the patchlevel.h file).  Please E-mail

I have to ask Larry for this info about once every two years.  I
wish it was in the rn distribution, but since it isn't:

If you are missing patches they can be obtained from me:

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

If you send a mail message of the following form it will greatly speed
processing:

        Subject: Command
        @SH mailpatch PATH NAME VERSION LIST
                   ^ note the c

where
PATH is a return path in bang notation from any well-known site to yourself,
or a fully qualified domain-based address.  (Well-known means anything in
the uucp maps.)
NAME is the name of the program.
VERSION is the version of the program you want patches for.
LIST is the number of one or more patches you need, separated by
spaces, commas, and/or hyphens.  Saying 35- says everything from
35 to the end.

Be sure to left-justify the lines, even though they have a tab in
front in this message.  If you don't put a subject of Command the
mailagent program will not recognize your message as something
to pay attention to.  The "Subject: Command" line needn't be in
the header, however.

Examples:

        @SH mailpatch blurfl!foobar!fido patch 2.0 4-
                # Requests all patches from 4 onward for patch 2.0.
                # Sends them to blurfl!foobar!fido.

        @SH mailpatch anyway!rebozak!rhubarb rn 4.3 26,28-31
                # Requests patches 26 and 28 thru 31 for rn 4.3.
                # Sends them to anyway!rebozak!rhubarb

Note that you can put more than one @SH in a message.

The main disadvantage of using this mechanism is that if you give
a bad return address you may never get anything back.  If you can't
get this mechanism to work it might be worth your while to check
your nearest comp.sources.unix repositories for patches, or your
upstream news site.

--
David Elliott
dce@sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce