[news.software.b] Is 2.11.18 compatible with nntp?

admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Khalid Sattar) (10/25/89)

Th emost recent patch to news 2.11 changes the active file to

>	Fixed active file to handle a maximum  of 9,999,999 messages
>		to avoid wraparound problem at current 99,999

Will this have any side effect to nntp, rn and gnus?

--
Khalid Sattar                   JANET  : admin@uk.ac.exeter.cs
Computer Science Dept.          UUCP   : admin@expya.uucp

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/26/89)

admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk writes:
   Th emost recent patch to news 2.11 changes the active file to
   [...cope with 10Mmsgs...]
   Will this have any side effect to nntp, rn and gnus?

No.  I am running 2.11.18, NNTP 1.5.6, and GNUS 3.12 with no trouble.

--Karl

jthomp@wintermute.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson Sun Dallas IR) (10/27/89)

In article <KARL.89Oct26001604@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk writes:
>   Will this have any side effect to nntp, rn and gnus?
>
>No.  I am running 2.11.18, NNTP 1.5.6, and GNUS 3.12 with no trouble.

Same here, in case you wanted a voice of more than one.
Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Member of the Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)
"I woudn't recommend sex, drugs, or unix for everyone, but they work for me."
					- Me (paraphrasing Hunter S. Thompson)

shin@silk.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Shin Yoshimura) (10/28/89)

In article <1876@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> jthomp@wintermute.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson  Sun Dallas IR) writes:

 >In article <KARL.89Oct26001604@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
 >>admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk writes:
 >>   Will this have any side effect to nntp, rn and gnus?
 >>
 >>No.  I am running 2.11.18, NNTP 1.5.6, and GNUS 3.12 with no trouble.
 >
 >Same here, in case you wanted a voice of more than one.
Yes, I'm using same enviroment. Bnews 2.11.18 and NNTP 1.5.6 works well
except NEWNEWS command of nntp.

NEWNEWS command is not used most newsreaders.  But nntpxfer (not xmit)
does not work correctly.

--
Shin Yoshimura
Dept. of Chem., Coll. of Arts & Sci., The Univ. of Tokyo., JAPAN