[news.software.b] How to

bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) (11/17/89)

In article <1183@radius.UUCP> radius!lemke@apple.com writes:
> OK, question:  I'm running news 2.11 and it has the Xref lines in each
> message, but rn still shows me the messages several times - once in each
> group it's crossposted to.  Where did I blow it and how do I make it so
> I only see the messages once?

Usually, when rn ignores xref headers in news articles, it means that it it
does not understand that its idea of its host's hostname is the same as the
hostname given in the xref header.  Most commonly, this is because it
incorrectly tried to pull its hostname from the non-existent relay-version
header rather than the path header.  First, make sure that you are running
2.11B news or C news -- if you're not, you're on your own :-).

*Second, make sure that NORELAY is defined in config.h .*  There are a bunch
of versions of rn floating around in which this isn't true -- the apparent
result of a widely-distributed garbled patch.  Sigh.

This will frob some code in chase_xrefs() in bits.c to do the "right thing"
by using the first "component" of the path header as the hostname to compare
the xref header against (this is considered a feature by rn's author, since
changing the machine's hostname won't break the xrefs on old news articles).

If this doesn't work, try compiling rn for debugging, and invoking it with
-d .  It will print some messages describing what it's doing when it finds
an article with an xref header.  See if these messages indicate apparently
sensible behavior.

Hope these hints help!

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!videovax.tv.tek.com!bart