groups I want.

From what I can gather, I should have *all* active groups in the active file,
whether I want them or not, and use the sys file to weed them out. Correct ?

Email would be great. Thanks for your help.

Bob
--
* RaiderNet Public Access    *Middle Tenn's Unix Gateway*   Murfreesboro, TN *
* Data:(615)896-8716 896-7905 Voice:(615)684-4490 Mail:PO Box 2371 Zip 37133 *
* Domain: root@raider.MFEE.TN.US UUCP: {ames,decwrl,mit-eddie}!attctc!raider *

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) (11/18/89)

Greetings,

I am having a problem keeping groups off of our system.  The documentation
says that an entry of !group.blah.blah will cause news to refuse that group.
On our system, the news for that group is logged (log & errlog) and then put
into junk.  This causes us to have a large errlog file and *many* extra
entries in the log file.

This is my sys file entry for me...

--------- Begin included file: sys ---------
ME:world,na,usa,usaf,dc,va,md,to.hq,!junk,\
alt,biz,comp,ddn,gnu,misc,news,pubnet,rec,sci,soc,talk,u3b,unix-pc,\
!alt.activism,!alt.aquaria,!alt.bbs,!alt.co-ops,!alt.config,!alt.cosuard,\
!alt.cult-movies,!alt.cyb-sys,!alt.cyberpunk,!alt.dev.null,!alt.drugs,\
!alt.emusic,!alt.fax,!alt.fishing,!alt.flame,!alt.gambling,!alt.gourmand,\
!alt.great-lakes,!alt.hypertext,!alt.individualism,!alt.msdos.programmer,\
!alt.postmodern,!alt.prose,!alt.prose.d,!alt.religion.computers,\
!alt.restaurants,!alt.rhode_island,!alt.rissa,!alt.rmgroup,!alt.rock-n-roll,\
!alt.romance,!alt.sca,!alt.sex,!alt.sex.bondage,!alt.slack,!alt.sources,\
!alt.sources.amiga,!alt.sources.d,!alt.test,!alt.weemba,\
!pubnet.sources,!pubnet.sysops ,!pubnet.talk,!pubnet.test,!pubnet.wanted,\
!rec.nude,\
!soc.couples,!soc.feminism,!soc.men,!soc.misc,!soc.motss,!soc.rights.human,\
!soc.roots,!soc.singles,!soc.women,\
!talk.abortion,!talk.bizarre,!talk.origins,!talk.philosophy.misc,\
!talk.rape,!talk.religion.misc,!talk.religion.newage

--------- End of Included file: sys ---------

Eventually when it is decided what groups we do and don't want, we will have
our feed _not_ send us these groups, but until then we would rather have a
full feed and weed it out ourselves through the sys file (if it would work).

Thanks, and ANY help will be greatly appreciated...

BTW: Is there anybody out there that has Bnews3.0 WORKING on a Sun?  I like
     some of the features and am considering going to it.   I'd like to get
     some input on this one.

Mitch Wright					Currently under contract to:
I-NET, Inc.					USAF 7th CG, The Pentagon
(202) 696-6056
			  mitch@hq.af.mil
			gretzky@unison.larc.nasa.gov

In article <MITCH.89Nov17134259@hq.af.mil> mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) writes:
>I am having a problem keeping groups off of our system.  The documentation
>says that an entry of !group.blah.blah will cause news to refuse that group.
>On our system, the news for that group is logged (log & errlog) and then put
>into junk.  This causes us to have a large errlog file and *many* extra
>entries in the log file.

Fixed in C News.  However, that probably isn't much help...
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu