[news.software.b] Something I don't understand about News 2.11.19 and ihave/sendme

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (11/23/89)

Hello out there,

here's something I find strange about news 2.11, patchlevel 19 which I'm
administering at this site:

Today I tested the transmission of news to another host by using the ihave/
sendme protocol specified in the installation guide. To this end I set up
a news installation on pbutest, a host we have standing around here. I set up
this sys entry for it, specifying the F and I flags and keeping the fourth
field blank:

pbutest:world,dnet,eunet,nix,usa,na,nix.all,eunet.all,dnet.all,comp.all,\
news.all,sci.all,soc.all,rec.all,talk.all,misc.all,gnu.all,bionet.all,\
alt.all,control,to.test:FI:

This is supposed to set up things such that articles coming in for pbutest
are stored in a file pbutest.ihave, if I understand it correctly. However,
they are stored in pbutest. This struck me as strange. I moved the file to
pbutest.ihave. It contained entries in the following format (using one entry
for example's sake):

/usr/bnews/spool/comp/sources/wanted/3316	<246@dyndata.UUCP>

(thats 'path<TAB>Message-ID')

After moving to pbutest.ihave, the 'sendbatch -i pbutest' worked and produced
the following 'ihave' control message:

From: bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening)
Newsgroups: to.pbutest.ctl
Subject: ihave nixpbe
Date: 23 Nov 89 08:24:19 GMT
Control: ihave nixpbe

/usr/bnews/spool/comp/sources/wanted/3316	<246@dyndata.UUCP>

Obviously it just copied pbutest.ihave into a control message. Anyhow,
after a while, the following 'sendme' message came back:

From: usenet@pbutest.UUCP
Newsgroups: to.nixpbe.ctl
Subject: sendme pbutest
Date: 23 Nov 89 08:32:41 GMT
Control: sendme pbutest

/usr/bnews/spool/comp/sources/wanted/3316	<246@dyndata.UUCP>

Again, obviously the 'ihave' was simply changed to a 'sendme' control
message with some furious header editing.

This produced the log entry

Nov 23 10:14    pbutest System pbutest wants unavailable article \
/usr/bnews/spool/comp/sources/wanted/3316      <246@dyndata.UUCP>.

This caused me to have a look at the sources of the news software and
there I found that control.c states explicitly that only article ids
should be passed around. So, makeing the following 'sendme' message out of
the previous one:

From: usenet@pbutest.UUCP
Newsgroups: to.nixpbe.ctl
Date: 23 Nov 89 08:32:41 GMT
Control: sendme pbutest

<246@dyndata.UUCP>

I did indeed see an article get spooled in the file 'pbutest' for later
processing by sendbatch (without the -i option).

What I don't understand, is why is the pathname for the file the incoming
article is stored in inserted into the '.ihave' file (quite apart from why
the .ihave file isn't correctly set up). The control message handling stuff
quite obviously expects to handle article ids and not these strange combi-
nations.

Does anybody have experience with the 'ihave/sendme' stuff? Similar?
Contrary?

Please send in replies by mail to mboening.pad@nixpbe.uucp, if you're
in Europe or to {...}!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad, if you're
elswhere in this world. Thanx in advance.

Martin Boening
--
Martin Boening, c/o Nixdorf Computer AG, DS-CC2, Paderborn, West-Germany
Email:                                 |  Phone: (+49) 5251 146155

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (11/25/89)

Thanks to a couple of mails which I have yet to answer, I now know what
happened. As was pointed out to me, the behaviour I described is perfectly
normal since patchlevel 18. For the true ihave/sendme behaviour now only the
'I' flag is necessary.

Just goes to show that I should read the intros to the patches more carefully
instead of picking the interesting things and simply apply them.

Thanks to all who responded. I will try to get around to answering you mails
but in case they bounce I would like to thank you here as well.

PS.: Anybody else out there who intends to answer the original, please save
yourself some labor and just forget I ever asked that question.

Again, thanks for all the help,

Martin

--

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/27/89)

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:

>Just goes to show that I should read the intros to the patches more carefully
>instead of picking the interesting things and simply apply them.

Too bad B news patches only update the src directory and never the doc
directory.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                   domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                  uucp   : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim