[news.software.b] RRN problem

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Peltier) (12/08/89)

I'm having some runtime problems with a version of rrn taht was
created using the patches in the nntp package on a level 39 version
of rn.  It starts up fine, runs fine, but when I go to read a
particular newsgroup, it comes back with "caught a SIGSEGV, .newsrc
restored".  What does this error mean, and where might it
be coming from?  I made no modifications beyond fixing a
problem in the cancel command that is peculiar to our net,
and removed the getwd() that came with rn to force it to use
the system getwd.  (I'm going to double check that right now,
I just remebered that I wasn't as careful there as I should have
been.)  If you have any other suggestions, please send them
along.  Thanks!

	-Mike.
--
-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Michael V. Peltier         | Computer Aided Engineering Network

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/10/89)

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Peltier) writes:

>It starts up fine, runs fine, but when I go to read a
>particular newsgroup, it comes back with "caught a SIGSEGV, .newsrc
>restored".  What does this error mean, and where might it
>be coming from?

I ran into this all the time on a 286 box. The problem in my case was
that I could read articles ok, but if I tried to do a kill or read by
subject, I'd get the error.

The problem was that rn stores article numbers as 4-byte integers. For
any of those functions, if it has been compiled with the normal defaults,
it tries to build an array of article numbers from 1 to [high article #].
If the high article number is greater than 16383 this would result in a
structure bigger than 64k. So you get a segment violation error.

I was told that the fix was to recompile with some option changed
(something about optimize for space not time). I passed to info on to
the news administrator who apparently never did anything with it. I
now get my news elsewhere.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]