[news.software.b] upgrading to B2.11.19 and "Bogus local distribution rejected"

jkimball@SRC.Honeywell.COM (John Kimball) (12/11/89)

This past weekend I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from B2.11.14 to
B2.11.19 .

I was careful to disable anything which would try to run inews, while the
install was going on.  I did 'make update' after 'make install', and then
tried to run an 'expire -r -I -e 999999 -E 999999'.  But expire died, saying
    Bogus local distribution rejected
I tried some variations on the arguments, but always got the same result.

As far as I could tell the active file was in the new format and correct.

(Not sure if this is related, but inews refused any attempts of mine to
test-post an article, saying "Dec  9 09:43	local	Duplicate article
<41961@src.honeywell.com> rejected. Path: jkimball".)

So, I've backed out to 2.11.14.

I'm sure that this problem has been seen before;  what am I missing?  I'd
really like to move beyond 2.11.14.  (So far I'm intending to stick to B
news rather than C news because it sounds like C requires more tweaking if
you run NNTP, which we do.)

Thanks!
						John Kimball

Domain: jkimball@src.honeywell.com        Honeywell Systems and Research Center
        postmaster@src.honeywell.com      Computer Sciences/Software Technology
uucp: <any-smart-host>!srcsip!jkimball    3660 Technology Drive, MN65-2100
voice: 612/782-7343  fax: 612/782-7438    Minneapolis, MN  55418-1006

ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (12/12/89)

   From: jkimball@SRC.Honeywell.COM (John Kimball)
   Date: 11 Dec 89 03:10:16 GMT

   I'm sure that this problem has been seen before;  what am I missing?  I'd
   really like to move beyond 2.11.14.  (So far I'm intending to stick to B
   news rather than C news because it sounds like C requires more tweaking if
   you run NNTP, which we do.)

Absolutely untrue.  If you have the latest NNTP and an up-to-date C
News, all you have to do is install C News, compile NNTP with C News
defined, and voila!

A particularly delightful side effect is that you will never again run
completely out of space in /usr/spool/news.  If things get tight,
batches will start piling up in /usr/spool/news/in.coming.  If things
get any tighter, your NNTP daemon will start refusing articles.  When
the next expire makes room, things will automatically start unpacking...

I'm not sure I'd want to run a B News/NNTP site ever again.

				AMBAR