[news.software.b] C-News equated groups

news@acheron.uucp (News maintenance id) (12/20/89)

Enough is enough!  First alt.aquaria, then sci.aquaria and now rec.aquaria?

I just went in and changed:
	rec.aquaria 0000000000 0000000001 y
to:
        rec.aquaria 0000000000 0000000001 =sci.aquaria

This is my first use of the '=' construct; I want to stuff the articles into
sci.aquaria locally.  Are these articles going to be re-posted to downstream
sites into sci.aquaria?  That's not my intent ...

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec20.035754.2598@acheron.uucp> news@acheron.uucp (News maintenance id) writes:
> I just went in and changed:
> 	rec.aquaria 0000000000 0000000001 y
> to:
>         rec.aquaria 0000000000 0000000001 =sci.aquaria
>
> This is my first use of the '=' construct; I want to stuff the articles into
> sci.aquaria locally.  Are these articles going to be re-posted to downstream
> sites into sci.aquaria?  That's not my intent ...

actually, i did just the opposite.  for quite some time i have been
aliasing sci.aquaria into rec.pets.fish.  (a news group that doesnt
seem to have made it everywhere, but we seem to get articles in it...)
now, sci.aquaria is being flushed into rec.aquaria where it belongs.

-wayne

p.s.  flames to /dev/null.  i am done screwing around with *.aquaria.
      i hope i never have to hear of it a gain.

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (12/21/89)

> Are these articles going to be re-posted to downstream sites into sci.aquaria?

No.  As the documentation says, the "=" flag only affects article
filing, not article headers (relaynews never changes, as opposed to
deleting, headers other than Path:).
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

In article <1989Dec20.035754.2598@acheron.uucp> news@acheron.uucp (News maintenance id) writes:
>This is my first use of the '=' construct; I want to stuff the articles into
>sci.aquaria locally.  Are these articles going to be re-posted to downstream
>sites into sci.aquaria?  That's not my intent ...

The = construct just alters how things are filed on your system; it does
not alter the headers in the article.  If the article is transmitted to
your downstream sites, it will show up there with its original header.
That is, apart from the possibility that it might influence whether the
article is sent to another site at all, the effects of = are purely local.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/21/89)

In <1989Dec20.235404.27852@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> That is, apart from the possibility that it might influence whether the
> article is sent to another site at all, the effects of = are purely local.

Ah, so it does affect redistribution?  Take the example that started
this, where the admin is refiling rec.aquaria to sci.aquaria; say also
that he feeds another site rec.all but !sci.  The way I understand it
now that you have said this is that the site will not have the
rec.aquaria articles processed for it.  Is this correct?

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (12/21/89)

"=" does not affect distribution; the relevant newsgroup list is taken
from the Newsgroups: header, always, and that header is never modified
by relaynews.

The effect of "=" is purely local.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu