[news.software.b] rn and mbox.saver

billd@fps.com (Bill Davids_on) (12/22/89)

I like to save news in mbox format.  The thing that has always annoyed
me was that mbox.saver saved things in this form:

	From celit!ucsdhub!foo!bar!yoyo
	Article 8192 of news.software.b
	>From: yoyo@bar.edu (YoYo)
	Newsgroups: news.software.b
	Subject: news
	<etc>

The first time I tried to read the file with BSD Mail, I would get
the subjects (good).  After I read the mail, the file would look
like this (bad):

	From celit!ucsdhub!foo!bar!yoyo

	Article 8192 of news.software.b
	>From: yoyo@bar.edu (YoYo)
	Newsgroups: news.software.b
	<etc>

From now on, I would not see subjects from the Mail program.

The fix to mbox.saver was simple.

	0) echo "Article $4 of $6:" ;;

became

	0) echo "Article: $4 of $6:" ;;

Now Mail treats it as a header line and I always get my subjects for
stuff I save from rn.  It looks like this

	From celit!ucsdhub!foo!bar!yoyo
	Article: 8192 of news.software.b
	>From: yoyo@bar.edu (YoYo)
	Newsgroups: news.software.b
	<etc>

	<etc>

Can anyone see a down side to adding this ":" to the file?  If not,
should Stan Barber add it to his set of fixes for the next patch?

Bill Davidson			billd@fps.com
System Administrator		celerity!billd@ucsd.edu
FPS Computing Inc., San Diego	...!ucsd!celerity!billd
9692 Via Excelencia
San Diego CA 92126		(619) 271-9940  Ext. 242