[news.software.b] Sequence of header fields

kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) (12/21/89)

I've been co-writing a USENET-news-compatible MS-DOS news processing
program with a staff member of my packet radio group
(Packet Radio User's Group), called "Terakoya" system.

Our news poster seems to be fairly compatible with Bnews 2.11.19,
except for control messages. The postmaster of my domain-master site
told me that control messages made by our programs did not work on
Bnews 2.11.19. He and I worked together to solve the problem. And found:

Bnews 2.11.19 requires following conditions to acceptable control messages:
1. Subject: field should appear before Control: field.
2. Approved: field should appear as the end of header fields
  (i.e. after Lines: field).

Our news poster did totally opposite things to the above criteria.

Questions: do any implicit requirements exist on each header field?
           If yes, why? And how?

-- Kenji
--
Kenji Rikitake, Sakurajousui R&D Center, Packet Radio User's Group (PRUG)
 72407.524@compuserve.com/kenji%dctwcs.das.net@sun.com/kenji@Nikkei_MIX

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/21/89)

In <1452@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake):
> Bnews 2.11.19 requires following conditions to acceptable control messages:
> 1. Subject: field should appear before Control: field.
> 2. Approved: field should appear as the end of header fields
> (i.e. after Lines: field).

> Questions: do any implicit requirements exist on each header field?
>            If yes, why? And how?

RFC 1036, the Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages, contains
the information regarding headers.  It does not make any mention of
required header order.

The C News authors point out that that processing of messages could be
sped up even a little more if Control were required to be the first
header line when present.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

In article <1452@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) writes:
>Bnews 2.11.19 requires following conditions to acceptable control messages:
>1. Subject: field should appear before Control: field.
>2. Approved: field should appear as the end of header fields
>  (i.e. after Lines: field).
>Questions: do any implicit requirements exist on each header field?

RFC1036 is silent about the matter, so RFC822 sets the rules.  RFC822 is
quite explicit:  the order of headers is arbitrary.

That's the theory.  In practice... to the best of our knowledge, C News
conforms to the standard and will work with any order.  I can't answer
for B News, I'm not sufficiently familiar with its insides.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (12/29/89)

kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) writes:

>Bnews 2.11.19 requires following conditions to acceptable control messages:

>2. Approved: field should appear as the end of header fields
>  (i.e. after Lines: field).

Does that apply to control messages only, or is it the explanation why
postings to comp.sys.sun ends up in junk here (Bnews 2.11.14)?
Here is a sample header of one of the junk'ed articles, showing that
an X- line follows Approved (which otherwise "correctly" follows Lines):

    From: cher@ksr.com (Mike Cherepov)
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
    Subject: Name Lookup Cache: BSD vs SunOS
    Date: 6 Sep 89 19:38:31 GMT
    Sender: root@rice.edu

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) (12/30/89)

In article <431@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>[Re: location of Approved: in header]
>Does that apply to control messages only, or is it the explanation why
>postings to comp.sys.sun ends up in junk here (Bnews 2.11.14)?

No.  I believe it's due to the inews staleness check.  If a message is
too old, inews will junk it to prevent old articles which have already
been expired from looping.  This is an issue in moderated groups, because
when you add up all the various delays, the "Date:" in the original mail
message can place it beyond this threshold.  That's why the "brkdig"
program I just posted to comp.sources.misc (which breaks up digests into
articles) checks the "Date:" field and strips it if too old.