[news.software.b] Help with rn on a AT&T 3B2

00mewhite@bsu-ucs.uucp (Michael E. White) (12/30/89)

Does anyone have rn running on a AT&T 3B2? I'm having problems getting
rn version 4.3 to compile. Got around a couple of redeclarations but now
I've got a syntax error in ngdata.c. Doesn't seem to like the line

   register DIR *dirp

Also I get a ton of "extra token (ignored) after directive" errors
should I be concerned about these?

Thanks
--
== Michael E. White
==   UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!mewhite

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (01/03/90)

In article <10664@bsu-ucs.uucp>, 00mewhite@bsu-ucs.uucp (Michael E. White)
writes:
> I've got a syntax error in ngdata.c. Doesn't seem to like the line
>
>    register DIR *dirp

You need to get your hands on a copy of "ndir", a set of routines that
emulate BSD-style directory reading under System V.  I don't know where
you can get it, off hand, but you might try uunet and so on.

> Also I get a ton of "extra token (ignored) after directive" errors
> should I be concerned about these?

The C preprocessor is just niggling about "#endif MUMBLE" lines.  It's
not the code's fault, and they has nothing to do with how well it actually
compiles.  I'd just ignore them.

Hope this helps,

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) (01/03/90)

The problem mentioned was just discussed in u3b.sources,
with the source to libndir posted (about 2 weeks ago).

woods@robohack.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) (01/05/90)

In article <17633@netsys.netsys.COM> len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

> The problem mentioned was just discussed in u3b.sources,
> with the source to libndir posted (about 2 weeks ago).

I'm getting frustrated....  Fixing rn to work on a SysVr3+ system
requires three changes in ngdata.c:  include <dirent.h> instead of
"ndir.h", and change "struct direct" to "struct dirent" in two
places.  There is no need to fix ndir.c.  There is no need to install
Doug Gwyn's dirent library (though it's a nice library, and may
actually be better than the one which is part of your libc).  This
problem has been discussed a million times I'm sure, but it seems that
the wrong answers are given still.

BTW, I would suggest that non-SysVr3+ sites make the above mentioned
changes to all programs using the directory(3{c,x}) functions, and
install Doug Gwyn's dirent library.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA