[news.software.b] cnews vs. sys V vs. patches

neal@smcnet.UUCP (neal pollakck) (01/18/90)

I am thinking of taking the plunge to upgrade to c-news.
Does c news compile without any deeply religious experiences
on an AT&T Systems V Unix?

Does c news improve performance during receive, unbatch,
and expire phases?

I do not have an internet connection.  So, where do I go
to get the most current version that would already have the
patches rolled into it?  (Does some archive site blend each
patch into the original source code, and then have the final
up to date source code available?)

Thanks for helping me understand these things.

Neal Pollack
smcnet!neal
213-450-5150 x9845

In article <520@smcnet.UUCP> neal@smcnet.UUCP (neal pollakck) writes:
>I am thinking of taking the plunge to upgrade to c-news.
>Does c news compile without any deeply religious experiences
>on an AT&T Systems V Unix?

You don't specify what machine you're doing it on (although one might
take "AT&T" as a hint that it's a 3B2).  C News runs just fine on various
flavors of System V; one of our test machines is a System V box, and many
C News users use it on System V.  The one definite problem we know about
is that the Australian readnews, which we include, isn't really set up
for System V.  That's unimportant because you should probably keep your
current news readers anyway; they should all work.

>Does c news improve performance during receive, unbatch,
>and expire phases?

In a word, yes.

>I do not have an internet connection.  So, where do I go
>to get the most current version that would already have the
>patches rolled into it? ...

If somebody is providing a convenient source for such a thing, I'd actually
like to hear about it.  We provide a current copy for Internet FTP, but don't
have easy access to a system that can provide anonymous UUCP.  It would be
nice to be able to point people to a current copy (patch archives aren't
as good).
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu