[news.software.b] [meta]Configure again

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (02/05/90)

In article <1990Feb4.222953.19169@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo (Henry Spencer) writes:
| >Maybe some code that would run test compiles to find out if the
| >functions are there or not..... with that, build could answer some
| >of the questions itself.
| It's really hard to do this 100% portably, unfortunately, especially
| given the variation in the format of can't-find-this complaints.
| (No, going out to the libraries via ar is not the answer -- the libraries
| aren't even always in the same places.)

Well, why not just steal all the stuff from Larry's Configure and
Metaconfigure?  The first time I built Cnews (less than a month ago),
some of the questions annyoyed me, because when I build Perl and RN on
4 different, it doesn't ask me all those questions (instead, I spend a
lot of time just hitting RETURN :-).  And RN and Perl have gotten the
added benefit of being ported to *many* different architectures, for
which the "bugs" in the configuration process have been sorted out and
fiddled back into Metaconfigure.

(I love the announcement "Congratulations.  You aren't running Eunice"
at the beginning of Configure for Perl... :-)

I know you started out with something else, and you're doing Cnews on
a volunteer basis, and I applaud y'all for that.  But maybe stealing
some of the work of someone else (like Larry) would be the right thing
to do here.

Just another new news admin (you mean Bnews was *slower*? sheesh!),
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

In article <1990Feb5.053532.2286@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>| >Maybe some code that would run test compiles to find out if the
>| >functions are there or not..... with that, build could answer some
>| >of the questions itself.
>| It's really hard to do this 100% portably...
>
>Well, why not just steal all the stuff from Larry's Configure and
>Metaconfigure?  ...

There were three reasons why we didn't do this, and don't plan to:

1. Our experience with Larry's stuff -- admittedly not with the latest
	versions -- indicated that it was easily confused by non-standard
	systems.  There are too many variables.  For example, programs like
	nm(1) -- exactly what you want for figuring out such things -- have
	very system-dependent output formats.  [Insert 3000-word flame
	about System V cretins who don't understand that nm(1) output is
	useful to programs, not just to humans, and hence should have kept
	its simple standardized original format.]

2. Automatic answers based on the current system are almost guaranteed
	to be wrong if you're trying to configure software that will run
	on some other machine.

3. Out of 70+ questions in build, about fifteen could perhaps be answered
	automatically with some hope of correctness.  Not worth it.
--
SVR4:  every feature you ever |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
wanted, and plenty you didn't.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu